How deep do you plug/core aerate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RobHawkins, May 4, 2008.

1. RobHawkins

RobHawkins LawnSite Member

I was taking soil samples with my new 8 inch core sampler. I noticed the soil is tightly compacted at the bottom half of the sample. My core aerator that I pull with my yard tractor only penetrates about 2 inches deep.
    Should I invest in a better core aerator or maybe get someone with a tractor to do my aerating?
    Thanks,
    Rob

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know what type of grass specie(s) you have in your lawn...but generally most if not all MAJOR northern U.S. turf grass species, including bluegrass and tall fescue, can extend their root systems down 5, 6 inches deep or more, largely depending upon what porosity of soil it's growing in, as well as other factors such as nutrition, proper light, etc.

When I aerate...the deeper the better !

3. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

2-3" is pretty much the norm for all aerators. I don't know if this is because any deeper would be very difficult to handle due to the size and weight of machine needed, or if any deeper would have very little effect. I have friend who works for a golf course and they bring in a sub with some big machines that actually drill out the holes I believe he said like 6" deep.

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Heck...even my wife runs around with the Classen pull-behind; and she'd NEVER be satisfied with just 2-3" !!
    :rolleyes:

5. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Good double entendre. What I was saying is most aerators are only designed to pull up to a 3" core. The weight needed for the tines to get any deeper would be too much for all day use, unless it was a ride on. A drum type would probably tear everything up so drilling is really the only option for a deeper aeration.