How deep is too deep for a sprinkler well?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Grits, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I do some work for a property manager. One of her properties is wanting a sprinkler well. They currently use metered water for irrigation and the water bills are becoming too much for them. The property manager said that she asked some other company about a well and they told her that the water table was in excess of 100 feet and that it was too deep to drill a well. Is this true? I know nothing about well drilling, so I need some help on this one.
    Also, if a well is not possible, are there any other options to keep water costs down yet have an adequate irrigation system? Thanks!

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of wells are washed down in Florida to a shallow water table.

At 100 feet, you would actually need a real drilling rig, and cast iron well piping etc. In other words, a real well like the rest of the country uses.

100' is common out here for a well. We are solid rock after about 10'. I believe its around $15 foot.

3. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

It's common here also to hit 100', round here they will charge a base price for the first 100' then a per ft. price from there, you or her need to contact a well company and get an idea of what kind of depth they need to go in that area, any good well driller that's in the area can give you a real good guestimate at the water depth.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Sure glad nobody in SW Kansas or down in Western OK never told them you couldn't get water from +100'. Our wells here in NE KS run as shallow as 75' to 200'. Avg around here for "sweet" water is about 160. Down in SW Kansas, 200' is a shallow well.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You would have to go pretty damn deep to get water that would cost you more to pump than to buy from your local water company.

6. I live in the land of no wells. BUT since the water table everybody is drilling into extends way beyond your property line and is a limited resource I think you should pay some fee for it.

7. BPC

BPC LawnSite Member

100ft is not to deep for a well here in Florida.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Is this property close to the beach or the water? The freshwater gets deeper as you near the coast, most wells about 2 miles inland or so can be 10 - 30 feet and have plenty of water for a shallow well. A deep well around here is going to be 100 - 300 feet and you will need a company with a real drilling rig to come out and shoot it down. We have limestone for quite a ways so it takes time. A church I cut at had a deep well installed a few years back went down about 300 feet IIRC and 200 of that was through limestone. Cost 3k I believe.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

bah, 100-200 feet are for kids. Some of the aquifers we tap into around here run at 1700 ft.

10. HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu LawnSite Member

How deep is too deep for a sprinkler well?

When the depth of the required well exceeds the size of you pocketbook... the well is too deep.