how deep should the lines be?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by instyle, May 10, 2006.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

I am doing my own yard here. I will be renting a sod cutter, the digging a trench for the sprinlker lines, but how deep should I dig them?
    Thanks

ps: Is there an easier way to running the line?

2. HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu LawnSite Member

Seems like most common depths I've heard of people using are 10" to 12" deep. Basically, the deeper the pipe, the safer it is from future damage (digging and hitting with a shovel or having a car or truck drive over the lawn).

3. DarkLotus

DarkLotus LawnSite Member
    from Florida

6"-8" in depth for here

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Since you live in Canada I'd put them below the freeze line. Check with your local municipality and they might be able to help with more specific information for your area.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Uh, ok. Frost lines can get below 36" in some areas. Heck even if it's 24" , I sure as hell wouldn't put them that deep. Put them 8"-12" and maintain them properly to prevent freeze damage. I don't want to be digging 2' to repair a broken line or fitting.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Borrow Jon's BIG trencher???? :clapping:

7. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

why below frost line? you'll still have heads, funny pipe, swing joints, risers etc. ABOVE the frost line-------so whats the point of below frost line?

8. HooKooDooKu

HooKooDooKu LawnSite Member

Here's a thought: after blowing out the system for winter, any excess water that didn't manage to get blown out of funny pipe, swing joints, and risers should drain back down into the pipe. Any excess water will then collect at the low point in the pipes. If that low point is below is above the frost line and enough water has collected to fill the pipe, the pipe could still rupture.

9. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

................and if that should happen, the frozen water will have plenty of empty pipe to expand into. So, pipe below frostline is unneccesary.

10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Answer: Deeper than you would want to physically dig.

Easy isn’t always best. It’s obvious that if you live in an area where you get hard freezes, and if you want peace of mind, then bury those puppies down a ways – if you can. Call it an insurance policy, or call it not playing Russian roulette.

So Ground Master, do you really want to assume that water trapped at the bottom of a “U” shape piece of pvc will climb up and out of that area when temperatures drop below zero? If that was the case then we could all sit around and watch the water seep out from the heads when the temps dropped down below freezing.