1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How deep to bury sprinkler heads

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Pecker, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi all. I'm not an irrigation guy. . . just dropping in from the commercial mowing forum because I have a question that I couldn't answer when searching.

How deep do you bury sprinkler heads? On a small system I installed in my own lawn I have had to go back and raise nearly all the heads because when I set the heads to the proper depth, they sank down deeper after a month or two.. Perhaps I dug to deep with the trencher (BTW, how can you tell how deep you are digging? They don't have a depth indicator; I had to eyeball it and I only had one chance to dig because I was in a hurry to return the trencher to the renter).

Thanks in advance.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You don't bury sprinkler heads. You set them at or above grade, trying to allow for turf buildup, without leaving the heads in the way of landscapers. If the heads are swing-joint-mounted, you can pry up on a head to raise it, if needed. Too-deep setting allows grass roots to grow into the sprinkler heads.
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If you get it too low, you get dirt in the wiper seal and the sprinkler will start to leak, or stay popped up.

Remember to tamp all around each head with the butt of your shovel, it keeps it from sinking down later.