how deep?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by orionkf, May 7, 2005.

1. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

Just out of curiousity, how deep do you guys plant your plants? Shrubs? Trees? Perennials? Annuals?

Do you keep them slightly above grade if you are putting mulch or rock over them? If so, how much? Do you set them higher if you have overdug the hole?
    Do you over dig on purpose?

What is your survival rate?

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

We always keep them slightly above grade, depending on the size of the plant determines how much above. Keep in mind that the plants will always settle lower then you plant them. For a 3 gallon plant we usually dig the whole twice as big as the pot and mix the hole with clay we dug up and potting soil. Fot three gallon plants I try to keep them 1/2 - 1 inch out of the ground on the top. My survival rate is darn near 100%. We have planted close to 800 plants this year.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I plant my planting material AT soil level,If you put the plant on a base of firm soil and water in as you refill the hole ,then they will not settle lower than your planting level.If I am planting in clay soil that drains very slowly or not well,then I plant high but I never leave the top of the rootball exposed to the air.
    I normaly make a mound of good draining soil and intigrate it into the clay base and plant into that in heavy clay.
    Digging your planting hole wide and not deep is the way to go.Most plants and trees send their feeding roots throughout the first 12 to 18" of soil in a wide area .
    Did you mean planting mix ECM LAWN not
    potting soil?Because potting soil will wick away moisture from the roots when used in the ground.My survival rate is also aprox 100%,
    I very rarely loose a plant and if I do it is usually not a loss because of planting method

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, it's planting mix that I buy by the yard at the local nursery. Another thing... I plant if high for the exact reason you said... ALL of our soil here is hard clay. I guess it depends on where you live how you plant it.

5. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

So does that mean that there is 2 to 3 inches of mulch covering the trunk or leaves?

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

No not at all absolutely not,I plant at the surrounding
    soil level and the top of the rootball has soil over it about 1/4"

7. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

how deep to plant, depends on the tree or shrubs. anything in a 3 gal. pot or smaller is planted 1' above the soil line, back filled with the exsisting soil ( key sentence ) and any extra soil is removed. on trees i find the top feeder root and make sure that is in the top 1-2 inches of soil. way and i mean way too offen trees are balled and burlaped with 3''-6'' of soil covering the trunk and the top feeder roots causing the trees not to reach there full potential. all holes are dug 3 times the size of the root ball in width and depending where the top roots are depends on depth. never should there be more than 1' of mulch around the trunk of a plant.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

every area is different. here at the coast of NC we plant level with grade or slightly low.. with the sandy soils there is no setteling.....