1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how desperate for work are you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brianslawn, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

would you bid a yard or install at costs, or below just to get it? offer a whole bunch of freebies with mowing? do leaf clean-ups for $30/hr or less for the tenth year, mow for under $20/yard?

ive heard and seen a lot of desperation in the over saturated, unconsolidated local market. how about stories elsewhere? just the other day i met a new lco that quit his $15/hr job with bigger lawn company, cause he thought he could make more on his own. not one yard after a month, hes starving, and said that hed be willing to suck a guys **** for a $20 yard.

anyone got any stories of non LS members? cause no one here is that desperate for work are they? :confused: :dizzy:
  2. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

Not very desperate I guess cause in fact call myself a lazy bum Monday morning and told myself that I was getting just plain sorry and lazy
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Not desperate anymore. I think desperation comes into play when you are new to the business, 1st and 2nd year. I remember we would take mowing jobs that were too far out of the way, we would take lawns that the terrain just plain sucked, and we would take customers that only wanted their grass cut every other week. But the more established one becomes in their business, the more choosey you can be.
  4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

thank you jodi, for the reply and not deleting half my post. im tryin to keep em half way clean.
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I could use some more cleints but Im not going to give my work away. I made enough mistakes the first couple of years to last me a lifetime. I now have no problem walking away from a low bid job where as I used to would jump on it. My worst job I made less than 4 bucks a hour that I jumped on. Learn from those big time!
  6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The People desperate to take work at cost ,or go into the hole, have a problem.And that problem is they ain't a business,they are Joe-Moe grass cutter.This breed of creature thinks in terms of a job cutting grass,instead of with the brain of a businessman

A balance sheet might as well be written on toilet paper,because in the long,their so called businesses usually go down the sewer.
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I've never been desperate in business, I may have wanted the big "High End" accounts badly a feew years ago, but never desparate.
  8. Need a Little Trim

Need a Little Trim LawnSite Member

I am definitely not desperate for business.....I am desperate to quit my full time job and get my business up and running as a constant.

I learned after some really crazy clients which to keep and what to charge to keep the crazy away.
  9. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

I did go down that road back a few years ago with the first one and am not about to go down that road with this one. Desperate would not even describe how I started a few years ago. I was the scrub with no plan, no idea, and would do anything for a few bucks. Learned real fast then and will not let that ever happen to this one.

I even turned down the first two jobs offered because they were to far out of the way. Working on a really nice one right now that I hope will be the beginning to a really good start.

I have a full time job, I definitely don't need another one.
  10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope will not undersell myself, I will work my Azz off instead and sell myself