How did everyone do?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by columbiaplower, Feb 19, 2000.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

How did everyone do? How muc snow you get? Brake anything,problems? Here in maryland we got 2in of snow and 1/2in ice.it was a waste of a storm because it got warm and rain washed it all away. But i love my new fisher plow and spreader(spreader got alot of work because of the ice).I only plow for a few hours. Looking forward to more snow. Well tell me how u all did.<br>Nick<p><p><p><p><br>0

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

2 trips. 16 hours total w/ clean-up.<br>Blew trans on 1996 Dodge Diesel for 7th time. Thank goodness I decided not to sell either '88. Those back-ups are more relaible than the new ones.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We got 11&quot; of snow at home here, but I just heard where we plow they got 12&quot; of fairly wet snow. We had 18 hours of straight hard plowing before we got caught up. Nothing broke again, (knock on wood) :) You need Fords Lazer. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

4. Lou

Lou LawnSite Member

Lazer...you are so right. check this for cost comparison: new rig 30 to 33k pre plow package vs. $900 gmc k2500. New motor, trans, low stall converter, trans kit, transfer kit, trans cooler, hvy duty shocks, on the front, load levelers on the back, tires, rims, 110amp alt,1000cca batt. and the all important coffee mug holder. Total cost:$6837 and change. Haven't had a problem since.I'm not even counting the insurance savings....a tidy sum saved. Let's see, 33k minus 7k leaves me a savings of 26k, more or less. As long as my rig is presentable, folks don't mind. Yes sir, I sure like looking poor. And no dealer appointments !

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

11&quot; of snow. weather man said it was going to start by midnight started about 4am. started plowing at 11 am got caught up by 3 pm with nice lull in storm, about 5pm came down about 1&quot; an hour untill 9pm. clean up finished at 3am home by 4am<p>----------<br>paul<br>

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Hey,Lazer,I have a 96 Dodge diesel with auto trans,and have never had a problem,but it only has 62K on it. That is a strong trans,but it has to be left in N if you are idling for a long time,or a shift kit put in that allows the trans to circulate fliud in Park.If you are plowing and the trans is hot putting it in park will fry it,because it cuts off fliud flow to cooler.I have simply done this since I had truck and my motor is turned up to 250HP/635Ft/lb at wheels and I work it hard when I plow,and no trans problems.Something else must be wrong for 7 trannys to go bad,E-mail me off list,maybe I could help. John D<p>----------<br>John D<br>

7. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Well we broke a blade guide on one of the trucks. The loader opperator with the pusher some how managed to plow a dumpster into a snowpile.<p>Geoff

8. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

We were out for less than 12 hours. Not bad considering our '89 GMC 2500hd blew a starter motor (i think) and left us with only two trucks instead of three. We're getting tired of repairing our trucks all the time...may be time to lease a couple new ones. We've always gone with a philosophy of buying NEW equipment and USED trucks, but we're rethinking that.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Forcast was 3-6 and heavy ice. What we got 6&quot; and 1/2&quot; of ice. First time this year they were right for me.<br>We started at 2 pm fri with all 4 trucks. plowed till 12 midnight. Slept from 1-3 am.<br>Plowed from 3 am till 6 pn sat 4 trucks<br>Slept from 7:30 pm sat till 4:30 am sun<br>plowed from 5 am sun till 3 pm sun, 1 truck<br>caught last 30 laps of Daytons 500<br>What I learned this storm.<br>1- computer friend also plows very well<br>2- at 3 am I get very hungry<br>3- at 3 am I really hate plowing<br>4- after 8 hrs of sleep I really still enjoy plowing<br>5- I am an idiot(see#7)<br>6- make sure all tires on a 4x4 are the same size, all it will bind the transfere case<br>7- I am an idiot because I learned # 6 10 years ago and forgit ti last week. I installed new p-235/75R 16 on the front of my truck but still had -225/78r16 on the rear. when 4wd was engaged very bad sounds and vibrations ensued, plowed all night in 2wd, and spun tire all night even with 2 ton in the spreader, at 7 am sat i was at the tire store, needed new tires anyway, and it fixxed the 4wd problem, Did I mention I am an idiot<br>8- with new rear tires I dont need 4wd(lol)<br>9- tai spice capacino tastes like sh**<br>10- a can of deicer is a must when it is Freezing rain out, good thing I keep a can with me<br>11- when slushing off close drivers windows<br>12- salt flavored slush puppies will not catch on<br>13-honda 621 snow blowers still rock<br>14-diesel fuel is till wat to high<br>well I think thats it<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Dave,I think you should keep yout old trucks until they become unreliable,a bad starter motor could've happened on a new truck.I've done it both ways and I am more comfortable when I'm not worried so much about scraping up the truck or the guy loading my spreader bumping the body with the loader.The money saved is a major plus,then the insurance etc..<p>----------<br>John D<br>