How did everyone start?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by galby, Dec 23, 2013.

1. TML

TML LawnSite Senior Member

I worked for over 7 years for a established LCO, IMO the best way to go you will get paid to learn how to do everything and how and what type of equipment to use.

In terms of applications most states you have to have a license and pass a test to be legit to spread fertilizer and pesticides. You are correct if you don't know what you are doing don't guess you can destroy a lawn or landscape bed. I myself am not certified do I just refer this work to a local company or make suggestions to the home owner on what they can apply as I have a basic working knowledge.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. B16bri

B16bri LawnSite Member

IDE love to start working for a company however I work full time in a completely different field and make good money and just bought a house so taking a pay cut right now isn't possible and I hate what I do so I got to get out any other ways I can learn and sorry to the op I'm not trying to jack your tread
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Cody S

Cody S LawnSite Senior Member

Dad had a successful company from 87-06 (I was 12) and he left and moved it down to Arizona. Parents were split but I had been in love with landscaping (he was all install) and lawn care since I could remember. Bought a truck my senior year of with money from my part time job and then once out of high school I rejected going into the pharmacy program at the university I was enrolled in and got a full time job doing apartment maintenance (all inside). Spent the next year after high school working and saving, created the LLC, covered myself with insurance, etc. Beginning of this year (Almost 20 now) I bought a trailer, my little ariens 21", a 33" Sutech, some old echo handhelds, and did very minimal advertising. I was able to leave my full time job at the beginning of the cutting season (May) and finished the year with a 30 weekly accts (20 of which already signed for the following year) and now 23 snow accts (3 commercial) No where near where I plan to be, but my first year was 10x better than I projected, and that helps with a nice slow, steady growth.
    Just thought I'd share, good luck to you!
  4. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

January 3rd 2013 I decided to start my business. I work full-time so this is a side job for me. I figured out how to created a website, did research on equipment, prepared some post cards etc. I sold my car and bought a truck, purchased an exmark 30, stihl blower,edger, and trimmer and off I went. In March I started getting calls from my website. By the end of the year I had 19 weekly and 2 bi-weekly clients. The first couple months I bid some properties too low. I started out thinking 35/man hour sounded about right. A couple months in I realized I could get 60+ if I was willing to only win half the bids I did. I am completely happy with how this year went. I will raise prices on about 35% of my clients next year. If I lose them that's fine because more will replace them. This is a great side job for anyone that doesn't earn a lot at their full-time job.