how did i do on this quote

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by greenacresman, Jan 20, 2006.

1. greenacresman

greenacresman LawnSite Member

ok i need some help i went to quote a commercial property today and they want a price on it plus two residences together.ok the business is probably
    3 1/2acres a fence an two large banks to weedeat. probably 4hrs weedeating an 2hrs mowing and blowing. residence #1 around 2 acres very hilly around
    1 1/2 hrs weedeating and 30 minutes mowing an blowing.residence #2 is fairly level around 2 acres with 30 minutes weedeating and 1 hr mowing and blowing
    they only want one price to do all three. these are mow and blow nothing else. it will take around 9 1/2 to 10 hrs to do these jobs. iam new to biding on property's this big. my bid was $380.00 per mow for all three. i was very nervous when i give them this quote i did not want to lose money but really wanted these accounts. i look forward to hearing what the pros think. i hope this is enough info.they only want service every 10-12 days how did i do.
    thanks jeff :waving:
  2. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

That works out to $38 an hr. if your doing it by yourself. This is w/out including any expenses, gas, weed eater string, everything else. If your hiring someone else, you'll cut your time in half, but also your profit. I'd aim a little higher next time.
  3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I would say you under bid it. The 10 - 12 day interval might hurt you the most. If the grass grows to fast and thick, then it's going to put alot more wear and tear on your equipment quicker. Just because they want to save more money by having it done less, may mean your losing more money by putting too much strain on your equipment. Not too bad for your pay, now what about the gas, travel time, oil, equipment. I don't think you factored in everything. But then again, is there an exact scientific formula to do this? You didn't do too bad. Good luck with it. Nice account to have.
  4. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I would probably be more around $450.00. You should get it though. Good luck.
  5. greenacresman

greenacresman LawnSite Member

thanks guys where i'am $40 per hour is close to tops around here. i here of some people getting 60 an hour but they have been at it for a while.and most every one wants bi-weekly service. i'am going to push for atleast 10 day service on all my accounts unless they want weekly. and yes i'am a one man band. my wife say's she will help out.
    i'am working a full time job right now but the plant is closeing down they said we might get to work till april. i went threw another plant closing 5yrs ago and i dont want to go into another plant. so since ive been doing lawns part time after work only 6-9 per year. i'am working on building up my accounts
    my goal is 25 before april. any help on advertising would be helpful. i had my ad put in the phone book yellow pages an iam going to put a ad in the local news paper i had signs made for my truck an yes i heard they don't get you many calls but it looks an i feel more professional when i'am bidding an doing quotes on properties. any and all help is greatly appreciated thanks jeff ><>

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

first of all good luck and i think if i were you i would try some flyers and doorhangers with the services you perform on them , i would also find a local paper and put a weekly add in it and make sure its a paper that targets the area you want to work in .go the wkly adds so if your not getting the feedback from it you can change the wording to maybe drum up some new calls.dont let the paper talk you into all the extra hoopla because its costly.and above all get out and hit the streets and talk to the people when you drop off the flyers that way you can sell your services face to face and not on the phone..
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

NW Ohio isnt so good either, but i think you left alot of money on the table here.... if you really count everthing that cost you to be in business, your making maybe 10 or 12 bucks an hour.....(by my meager calculations:blush: )

then when you try and raise your prices next contract or it goes up for rebid, they are going to EXPECT to pay less again.. so the price for your services in your area keep going down... year after year.....

My 2cents..:)

MADJOE'S LawnSite Member
    from florida

Been doing this for going on my 2nd year now there is alot of competition
    in this area everyone is under bidding each other. The going rate is for lawn service work is around 50 dollars per yard per month depending on the size and what you want done. But i know that i don't want to be the one under bidding everyone out there, because it's just me and im not wanting to kill myself everyday for just a few dollars. I have been thinking about expanding out to the east coast. any thoughts from anyone especially those from Florida were the growing season is just about year round. Thanks
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's a fair bid and you'll get OUT THERE and be seen and that counts for something too.
  10. Bigtreeman

Bigtreeman LawnSite Member

Seems low , but getting out there is half the battle. Some times charging more can be risky i understand. Read my sig. below. In sales it is huge