1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How Did You Build Your Website?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by aarondfrancis, Jan 31, 2013.

1. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

www.weebly.com

That's how I built our site. A ton of templates and drag/drop tools to build it. You can update or add stuff anytime you want. You can buy your name there. It costs each year, but an awesome option to DIY until you can pay a firm to build an awesome site.

2. greg8872

greg8872 LawnSite Senior Member

No matter whatever "system" you use, take the time and learn how to do it by hand, so that you can easily know how to modify, add, and/or fix the site easier down the road.

How many of you have a mower and don't know how it works other than the basics to 'get it to go'? The more you know, the easier it is to work with and know what it can do, right? Same thing (well kinda)

3. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

I built mine with iWeb on my Mac. It's decent. I'm going to redo it a little. There are programs for pc that you could use. Like Drupal, joomla, and word press. It takes time to learn it but google everything and it can be done. I plan on doing it in flash or dream weaver when I have time.

4. greg8872

greg8872 LawnSite Senior Member

Just to clarify, maybe cause I'm tired I misread it, but Drupal, joomla and wordpress are not PC/mac specific, they are CMS's that run on the server they are installed on.

5. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

True true, my mistake

6. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

No, you really don't want to plan on doing it in Flash. If I were to write a "Top 10 Things Not to Do When Building a Web Site", short of buying a domain name like iKillPuppiesIndiscriminatelyWithMyMowers.biz, that's probably #1.

Usually I add supporting detail to statements such as that but just Google the drawbacks and you'll get the gist. Or read the Wix-related posts.

7. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Built it myself on Weebly.com

8. KTLawnCo

KTLawnCo LawnSite Member

had a buddy build mine for $200...essentially wordpress and ipage RIVERBEDLLC.COM

9. aarondfrancis

aarondfrancis LawnSite Member

If there was a system that was tailored to building lawn care sites, would you think there would be a market for that? what would you *have* to have on a lawn-care-website-builder?

10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

I think I have to disagree that the "Title says it all.". You weren't actually looking for an assist, but doing market research for a web builder? I'm glad that you asked a common question, that's readily searchable in the archives, and that a couple of us didn't go overboard with our usual thousand word jags of help.