How did you buy your equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

There are a bunch of guys with a truck/trailer and a nice mower around. Then is is a few larger companies with matching trucks/trailers and real nice mowers. If you are one of those guys with real nice stuff, how did you get it all? Did you buy it little by little, or did you go take out one big loan and buy it all at once? Seems like buying everything at once would give you an instant look of success. Then following the thought of "dressing for success" it would be easier to land the commercial contracts, wouldn't it. I don't think I have ever seen a small outfit servicing a large commercial property ,but I have seen a bunch of big outfits servicing residential props. So if you jumped in head first and bought it all at once, what method did you use? Business loan, 2nd mortgage, cash in retirement, or some other means?

2. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Im part timer and had money when I sold my house 2 years ago. Bought everything new on my list here on the end except my Cub Tank. Got that this year on Cubs 0% intrest and a great price. Just taking money from the few accounts I have and reinvesting it into buss.Good luck

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

We started one mower at a time. Bought the first one on eBay and grew from there. Now we pay cash for most of our stuff. However, JD Credit has been good to us and when someone offers 0% financing and we can use their money for free, we do so.

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Smitty58,

I am planning to go full time next spring, will buy new equipment, new z, scag TT, new trailer, basically all new equip. to get started. I made a little bit of seed money from investments, can't stand the thought of carrying a bunch of debt and it really isn't, when compared to other business ventures, a substantial amount of cash outlay.

N.H.BOY,

I like your signature but I'm afraid I can see your wife & three yes three daughters and raise you a wife and four yes four daughters.

:waving:

G-P

5. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

I HATE LOANS!!!!!! I have always tried my best not to take loans which makes everything hard, not taking them has been half the fun for me making money and putting in back into the business. you got to start somewhere!

6. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Dear god, your house will be fun at the teenage years, if not all ready huh?
    I'm going to try one more.Boy I hope. I mean boy as in son. :D
    I wish you all the luck in your household dude.

7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think financing somethink like a nice ZTR is not a bad idea, if the finance terms are good. You can't beat 0%. I would just be careful going any farther than that. A little debt is okay if your biz can handle it and still turn a profit. If you have to work your ass off to pay loans and barely break even, then maybe you have a problem.

8. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

It is most important to buy what you need not what you want. Having nice new everything is a goal, not a requirement. Buy what you need to make money and make having all the nice stuff your reward for a job well done.

9. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

All good advice, but I'm talking about going after big commercial jobs. I don't think you are going to get any commercial jobs with a 21" or a w/b. Is there anyone that does big commercial jobs? What do you use ,and did you work up to that level or buy the equipment once you had a commercial contract?

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

define big.

For me as a solo with some part time help. Big is 5+ acres total lot size with full maitenance.

There is a guy around here who is trying to get the county to let him mow the airport 400+ acres with 150+ of actual grass cutting. For him that is big.

you can do all the Mcdonald's you want with a 21 and probably be efficient. Lowes and Walmart not so well. Airports, camp grounds, forget it.

And to directly answer your question. No one in their right mind would go deep in debt without contracts in hand and a reliable staff to back it up.