How did you get into Hardscaping?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Aquastone Landscaping LLC, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Aquastone Landscaping LLC

Aquastone Landscaping LLC LawnSite Member

As of now i'm an lco, and we also specialize in waterfeatures, but i'm interested in hardscape design. How did you get into this line of work and what recommended references/advice could you give for someone wanting to start out? :confused:

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Truthfully i belive you either have the gift or you don't.

I am 21 in a few weeks and am in my 3rd year of business now. I started working for GCs when i was 13. I was exposed to all the different trades. When i was around 17 i got to install some pavers on a couple new houses. Then i decided to start my own business. I never worked for a real 'landscape company' before starting my business.

My first hardscape job on my own was 1000 sq ft patio. Came out really good actually. But the level of work i am doing now is 10x better then i could ever image when i started out.

TO be successful in hardscaping i think 20% is knowing the right installation methods, 20% is know what looks good and being able to design stuff that doesn't look like every other house on the street, and the other 60% is actually caring about what you are doing. The reason paver jobs fail is because someone skipped a step some where. The reason people skip steps is because all they want to do is get the job done so they can get their money.

just my 2 cents

3. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

I agree with mrusk, alot of it comes down to the pride that you put into your work.

The best way to get started is to strart reading as much as you can, get certified and try to work with someone who can teach you the proper methods of installations. Best of luck to you.

4. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask a lot of questions and do a lot of research! I'll being useing this advice as long as I'm in business. This trade is always evolving. You and I are kind of the same. I started with maintenance (still do) and went into waterfeatures. I'm getting my certifications for hardscapes to go with my water projects and to cater to more high end clients.

5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

I stated in the trade installing on stonedust and installed that way for 8 years a few years ago one of my vendors was out at my job and she asked if we ever used sand for our pavers not knowing much she showed us a few manuals and we never looked back. I am definitely a paver snob now.

6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I started by doing the excavation for a buddy who was going to start building them. He told me i should start them and i said no way. The rest became history. He said after 2 he didnt have the time and i started to get a calls about them and said i can do that. Started with very small ones 20' 3-4 courses.
    Mike

7. I started when I was 14, I'm 54 now, and still learning, admittedly I went to College one of the very first ever to have a program for professional what was then called amenity horticulture,the four years in a london parks department, technical office with around 300 staff... then my own companies in England and America... www.landscapeknowledge.com has some of my work - What is so nice about quality landscaping is the joy it bestows on those that work in the industry and the clients..always strive to be better!