1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How did you get started?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by juststartin, Feb 3, 2003.

1. juststartin

juststartin LawnSite Senior Member

I am new to the business and wondering how you guys got started and how to make the most money$$$:D
  2. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to Lawnsite.Go to the search feature and typr in your question; you'll find a few threads on your subject.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

started mowing neighbors lawns and then went from there. Then went through friends that my parents knewn. I actually used to drive around with a mower in my trunk of the car to do the work....ahh those were the days
  4. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

7th grade put out some flyers in my neighborhood...would ride my bike to peoples houses and then use there mower. to make the most money buy what ever will cut grass and take all the customers you can and be very friendly! after that you'll figure it out.
  5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

well my friend i got started when i was about 8 years old an my grandpa owned a sod farm an from there he got into landscaping.when i was around 14 he passed away an the business was left to an uncle of mine which he just ran in the ground.i continued working for him until me an him stopped seeing eye to eye.i was making him a fortune so i hit the road on my own an havent looked back only to see him in my rear view mirror(hahaha).it was really funny my first year cause i went to give a bid on a big job an he was there bidding the same job .it was a little different cause now i was the boss.but let me tell you there is alot of headaches being the boss.being self employed has had its ups an downs but if i had to do it all over again i wouldnt change a thing .not only do i love what i do ,an in this business you either love it or you dont make it, i enjoy meeting all the nice people this business has to offer.this website here for instance shows you that there are alot of quality people in this business an we are here to help an guide you thru if needed. this is a very competitive business but at the same time a very professional business indeed. the main 2 ingredients that i have always used in this business an what has made me grow in this business is ,always plan ahead & whatever you tell someone make sure you always do !!! anyquestions or help feel free ..
  6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

1 flyer run, 1 mower, and a prayer. :D

So far...so good!

Selling a good job is very important but if you do not sell a good attitude along with it the ride won't last long.

Like any other business, you have to sell yourself as well as your service.

Making people smile, and place their trust in you, goes a long way in this business.

Follow the 'Golden Rule', and with a bit of business savvy, you can succeed.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Garden tractor, homemade trailer, new push mower, homelite string trimmer. Wrote a letter competing with a company that hired college kids to mow. Put the letters in target areas. Lost money and mowed lawn.

Found Lawnsite, read lots of threads, makin lots more money.
  8. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

I got started in the business when I was 10 years old and would work with my father after I got out of school. Not having much free time kept me from getting in any trouble. Contiued working for him through college. Now I do it as a part time job after I get off work. Will be 21 years in the business in March. Also I agree with SLS. Make sure you look professional when you go to meet a client and wear good clothes.
  9. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

I have answered this in past posts. All I can say is don't give up and learn from your mistakes, because you will make some. Try very hard to budget your time, it is very easy to work 14 hour days and 7 day weeks. Good Luck!
  10. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

My Dad co-signed a loan for the least expensive (read: cheapest) Ford Ranger pick up (AM only radio! whoohoo!). I couldn't afford to buy used, but Ford let me finance. God, I wish I'd never sold that truck.

Borrowed a push mower and trimmer from a friend. Had friends help me out the first couple years. Note: NEVER take on a PARTNER!

To this day, a good friend who helped me out those first couple years, always remembers this quote from me when we were working; "Man, can you imagine how much money we could make if I owned a shovel?!"