How Did You Get Started ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnGuy73, Apr 7, 2003.

1. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just sitting here wondering... How did everyone on this site, or anywher get started? Were you the kid that took his dad mower around the block mowing peoples houses for $20.00? Maybe you are the guy that needed some extra cash, or did you just buy a lawn company cause you thought it would be "fun".

For me it started almost six years ago, I was sick of working for people and needed a beter income. We started off doing just landscaping and just in the last three years picked up on the mowing, I figured it was too big to pass me by.......

Anyways just wondering how you all got started ?
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

There is a seperate forum (on this site) for this very subject.

3. LocalTouch

LocalTouch LawnSite Member

I started part time, working for a property management company. I lived in one of their duplexes. I told the landlord I would cut that properties lawn, in exchange for a reduction in my rent! Last year I was doing service part time, now I am full time this year.
  4. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

me and my next door neighbor used to go door to door asking for work.. we help clean up yards and mow the grass... it was like $10 a yard.
  5. cturner

cturner LawnSite Member

well worked for a lawncare for a season then i was thinking about starting my own company and told a couple of people about it and they asked me if i would do theres and now i'm trying to get more accts. and make this thing work

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

layed off from a chemical plant after 14.5 years. Wanted to be my own boss, and came up with this .....
    its a lot of work to get things going , but i enjoy it....
  7. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

i had been tossing around the idea of getting up leaves for side money one fall. i had a rake and bag mentality and couldnt find anyone interested in going in on a joint (labor) venture. then one day while raking my own yard, a neighbor handed me a back pack blower, thats when i realized the potential of a good piece of equipment. then i was informed of the going rate for mowing a yard and the possibility of doing 12 a day with a good mower. today, three years later, i have a 52" x-mark lazer, all stihl handhelds, 14ft trailer , john deere 21", refurbished 1967 snapper rider for backyards, (all paid for) 2002 chev express van to pull it all with, and 114 clients (32 reg to date) . GOD BLESS AMERICA! ~the scaper~:D