1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How did you get your Commercial jobs?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CoreyD, Apr 4, 2007.

1. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

j/w how yall got your commercial jobs.... for those of you who pass out flyers only and do not advertise in the paper or anything ...... i have the equipment now for a commercial job...id love to do something like a school football field or something... so howed yall get your commercial jobs??.... word of mouth?.... just going in and asking them if they needed a yard man?.... lol
  2. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

it may be a stupid question but i wanted to ask it....
  3. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

might wanna wait more than 12 mintues for a response. but other than that i can't help ya out as i only do residentials
  4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

It helps to know someone in a position to hire you for a comm property. Also, my starting secret was to just LOOK at comm properties that were poorly maintained and I took over from there. You gotta be a talker. When you do land a comm property (and you will) be sure to ask and then use them as a reference when bidding other properties.

Our first comm property came 2 years into the biz so be patient. Good luck!
  5. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

thanks liquid for actually telling me somthing about my question....

unlike charmill there who just posted something to tell me how impatient I am....
  6. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Biggest problem your going to have this time of year is most companies are going to have a maintenance company already in place. When chasing commercial accounts you should start in early January.

Alot of larger companies start taking bids in August for the following season.
    I personally submit a letter to each commercial property that I'm interested in servicing, I briefly tell them about our company, our services, and provide them a basic estimate for comparison to thier current provider.
  7. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

one of the problims with going to a place that there yard looks like crap is that they probaly cant afford to have some one cut there lawn
  8. abuckeye

abuckeye LawnSite Member

I have at least 3 large bids out that have yet to make a decision. I have been cutting for a week now. I don't know if they got a late start or what. I didn't get a bid letter from one of them until March 23. I think you can get commercial work anytime of year, but late winter or early spring is the best.
  9. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea Id say letters and also going in a few weeks after and asking them. And if they have someone ask for bid sheet for next year.
  10. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

I don't have any commercial work yet, but I am pursuing it. I physically called the businesses and asked to speak to whomever accepts bids for seasonal services. Two businesses (a bank and a condo) were very cooperative and I have pending bids or dates they will accept bids.