1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How did you guys get to be big?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Landscape89, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

16 year old Junior in High school. Do Landscaping with friends and solo with about 10 Residential Accts. Also do Snow Removal for 5 Houses now. Have all the basic equipment: Mowers, Backpacks, Trimmer, Hedge Trimmer, Chainsaw, soon getting a Snowblower and all the required Hand Tools. Thinking already to High school graduation and I want to get a little more business.. How did all of you start?.. Word of Mouth? Flyers? Any input is appreciated!

-Sean H
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Yup that's how,

You can spend a little money and do newspaper inserts.

I have allways used door hangers and had someone put them out for me.

with door hangers you have more control over your customer location.
    along with direct mail.

a newspaper ad will be allover town. and I hate to turn down customers...

Good luck I wish I had a head for business when I was your age.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

toooooooooo much beer and mickeyd,s got me huge
    :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :dizzy:
  4. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

I am not big by any means, I keep 15 to 20 a week part time, but I will say that word of mouth as kept me going. Just yesterday, a lady called me to come out and give her a quote for lawn service thru out the year as she is not happy with the current provider. She got my name from a customer who moved way out of state last year. So it does work, and I will give her the same service and so on and so on etc.
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

looking for cheaper, and will do the same thing to you next year, maybe....

unless you see visable damage to the lawn or other real reasons to switch companies, could be a price shopper
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

keep in mind, that not all the big landscapers make the most, sometimes the smaller guys with 2 or 3 crews make more than the guys with 6-15 crews.
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

ill let you know if i ever get big hahahaahhhahha

cause im not