How did you learn QB?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tthomass, Jan 17, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

So I'm sitting here firing up Quick Books Pro 2007 and not having much sucess. The tutorials suck and don't really apply to what I'm wanting to do......at least I'm not following it anyway. The terms used (text) I am not clear on and when it says you have to do this or that I have no idea how to do nor can find it.

I have taken all kinds of computer classes through school and find this not to be a user friendly piece of software as of yet.

My sister and her husband are deep in the computer field. I'll be getting their help and see if they know anyone specifically to get me started.

This is what I am wanting to do with the program:
    -have a customer "folder" and inside that folder have different folders for different jobs
    -inside the job folders I want to list the price of the job and all receipts for that job.......perhaps even a timesheet to see hours spent on the job, a daily progress report that I can look over
    -then of course I want a running total of all business expenses and gross to see how much I net/gross/spend each month
    -what I've spent on what rental and should I instead buy it

That is really the core of what I'm looking for...........hopefully I can get QB to work for me after investing over $1100 in it.

2. IRRITECH

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

$1100????? What the heck did you Buy??? Switched from P'tree to QB Pro this year and was dissapointed in the flexibility. You can't set up seperate jobs in QB within the same customer and that's a major drawback for me. I believe you can do it in QB Contractor but I'm not sure. Business ex[enses are simply entered in the checkbook as you go and coded to the appropriate account. Same with cash (goes in the petty cash account) Credit the same way with accounts payable. Set up a Vendor file for your rentals if you run an account with them. Other wise it'll be taken care of in one of the other files. Not hard to learn but not as complete as you were looking for. If I want to track a seperate job for a specific customer I set it up as a Jones1, Jones2, Jones Irrigation, JonesRetwll. Good luck

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

You can take a QB course from your local extended education campus. Ours was $350 for a 7 week course. 1 day per week.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have been using QB's 8 or 9 years now. When you understand it, you will love it.

You can probably learn it one of two ways...take a class on it from soneone who specializes in it or by trial and error (the way I learned it). Most accountants know it and can help ya as well. if you have an accountant do your books, I already know they will want to set up your Chart of Accounts that makes sense to them (not always to you) though.

5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Um. I'm installing it and transferring over to quickbooks pro tomorrow. Your scarring me. I hope I can grasp it quick. Maybe we can educate each other as we learn.

6. rodfather

I forgot to mention it earlier but I will help in any way I can

7. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

online tutorials will help. may even be a video podcast on podcastalley. I learn most software by playing around with it. You will get the most out of it by doing some training though.

8. I have had quick books for several years and am pretty good at it, but I learn something new about it every time I use it even after all these years. Just have patience and take your time and work your way through it.

9. rodfather

Hell if an old geezer like me can learn it....anyone can! :laugh:

10. the least you can do is crash it and lose everything, YES it CAN be done.