how did you learn

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by willretire@40, Jun 7, 2005.

1. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

2. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

start small maybe some edging and patio blocks.doing things at home first and then branching out to projects that i could guarentee for others like planting shrubs and flowers. before to long you will be building r.r. tie walls and using pavers.
    then you will be ready for the hardscape.
  3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

read alot of books, then just experimenting on my own home. Now anything I do I gaurantee for X amount of years. So far ive done everything from lawn installs, to patio pavers, to retaining walls, and next thing Im doing is a roof, in 2 weeks. I cant wait. Ive done ALOT of paver, retaining wall and lawn installs, but never a roof. It should be fun!
  4. motoraced

motoraced LawnSite Member
    from md

father was a stone mason for 30 years. only way to truely learn the art of natural stone is by apprentice...not by ep henry and his fake crap.
  5. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

#1 working for other established companies with years of experience

reading, looking at pictures of others work, trying different styles and techniques, and one major thing I always keep in mind is that there are always new/different ways to do things, some right some wrong. I always try to be open minded with what I do. Even when you work with different stones it's going to change the way you build/design
  6. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

The people at EP Henry may not be able to tell you much about natural stone, but they can tell you a lot about the installation of manufactured pavers and wall stone. I guess that makes sense since they sell manufactured products and not natural products.

I appreciate good masonry work as much as anybody. However, dry lay and wet lay are two different animals. I've seen good masons butcher dry lay applications.
  7. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

We had that exact discussion today Mike. We know a guy who is a hell of a mason laying in mortar but you ask him to do something dry laid and he's lost for some reason.
    Motorced, don't see too much for people posting pics of natural stone work on here do you have any pics of your work you can post? I'd be interested to see what type of jobs you're involved in.
  8. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm known mostly for natural stone, but I love getting a paver or SRW job. My productivity more than doubles!

a current raised patio in progress

9. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

TREEDOC1----that looks f-n great. Love that look. Is that a deck on the inside of those stones? or a hottub in there? good lookin work man :)
  10. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

pattern flagstone (rectangles) on stone dust base

Thanks for the compliment.