1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How did you learn.....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Kgrebs, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Kgrebs

Kgrebs LawnSite Member

I am trying to move my company in to a lot more of the design and build, site work and true landscape construction portion of the business. I have good experience with heavy equipment and can figure anything out. So my question is to all of you that do this work, how and where did you learn? I can pick up a book and retain the information and my hands on skills, I feel are great, but it is easier to sell a customer on your knowledge if you can back it up with more than just saying..."Oh, I did that at my house once" or "Yeah, my brother and I ran equipment at his house until the yard looked the way we wanted it." Anyway, does anyone have a resource for excavation education?

As always, thanks for the help.
  2. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Years working for someone else. I wish there was a magical answer, but that's it for me. I worked for two other companies. I started behind a york rake and wound up in an office. I tried to learn as much as I could, from the field work to the business operations. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

What type of work are you currently doing?

Oh christ, I just noticed you're from Mass. (Patriots), I'm not telling you anything. Lol.
  3. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

Make it happen brother. No one else can help you because it's your challenge. If you can figure anything out then you have the critical thinking abilities so your problem is mainly dealing with the uncertainty and lack of experience. I'm in the same boat so to speak and can make some recomendations but it's best to realize that it's your responsibility and challenge. It's also an opportunity!

Look at landscapes and determine what you can do and what is going to be easily learned. Mulching, planting flowers or whatever. When I first started I cold have easily written your initial post. Since then I started experimenting, reading and seeing things a lot differently. Now I'm taking a course I recommend. It's called Landscape Design by PCDI, a home study course that takes six months or your own schedule. "Read, read, read", a quote from Warren Buffet that I've taken to heart. There's a lot to be said about drafting landscapes to scale when it comes to hardscapes, forget about software and learn to hand draft. Any designer will tell you that and PCDI makes learning to draft cake. Check it out... I love learning landscapes and can see big money coming up, seems too good to be true.
  4. crownls

crownls LawnSite Member

Try cavicchio.com they are a greenhouse in sudbury,MA. At times they offer courses on waterscape, retaining wall install, etc. I have wanted to get into hardscapes myself (just maintenance work now) However i have a full-time desk job and cannot easily take a tues or thur off to take a course. Another recommendation is read, read, read. I try to gather as much info as possible. But that will only give you book smarts. This spring I plan to do my parents and my yard with some patio work and retaining walls. If you find any other options, i'd like to hear. how bout them PATS?? DYNASTY!!!