1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How did you start?And what year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by workaholic, Jan 3, 2004.

1. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious about how some started in lawn& landscape business. Did you start out slow and bought equitment as you needed or did you go all out and spend a small fortune and hope you got enough work to cover your operation?
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Started part time to offset child support small and added a I grew. Full time now 11 years later
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Started full time in 94 after full medical disability discharge from Fortune 500 company...spent a ton of clams too in case you're wondering.
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

There's an entire forum for telling your story and how you started. Lots of good stories there. Mine story is here. I started part time, slowly, and in my 3rd year went fulltime. I bought the equipment as I went, as I could afford it. I've seen too many guys spend too much at first and lose their shirts.

5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Started part-time after my fulltime high paying job just up and moved to another state. I was working p/t for my father-n-law
    and he started me off with about 12 accounts and I just grew from there, have been F/T for two years now and I love all of it except the the occassionl "low baller" or "scrub" but overall have no regrets.
  6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I started my business in Jan of 1999. I feel very blessed to have started with good commercial accounts, commercial insurance and new commercial equiptment. It did help that I had about $7000.00 dollars in the bank from the sale of a Chevy 4wd truck that I sold right before we moved down here. I am NOT bragging, I just feel fortunate.
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Started spring of 75, quit working at Ford on sun. Mortgage house on mon and started to look for work tues waiting to get the $$$ from the second mortgage took a few wks { no computers then}
    Had a few jobs lined up and bought new equipment and never looked back. Not alot of competition back then only the rich and commercial ever used a "landscaper"

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Started PT a few years back and bought more equipment as time went on. Went full time 1 1/2 years ago and things have been going great.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Just got tired of corporate politics.
    Started 3 years ago, got serious 2 years ago and plan on making it a career this year.
  10. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

Started last year as a part time business. Have been cutting yards (family, neighbors) for since I was about 14. This year I am going to try and go full time. Once I reach a comfortable number of customers and signed contracts stating a comfortable amount of income I hope to quit. I am hoping that by mid summer I should be able to. We'll just have to see. This year I took out a 1/3 page ad in the Yellow Book. It comes out around May. A friend of mine in the business around my area said that was the best advertising he did, his phone rang non-stop and had to turn people away. He's been in the phone boof for a few years now.