How Did You Start Out?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by MJS, May 4, 2008.

1. TylerJohnLandscaping

TylerJohnLandscaping LawnSite Member

i started age 14 with a little jd tractor 42" now 17 taking it up a step
    48" wright stander
    36" exmark wb
    13hp billy goat
    and the other **** that goes on and on
  2. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Got started mowing a neighbor's lawn when i was about 10 years old, used her 21'' lawn boy and after 3 years when she moved to Florida she gave it to me. Mowed with it into high school and picked a cheap green machine weedwacker and homelite blower. Quit doing lawns while in college, but worked for a landscaper days I didn't have class, used that money to buy a 48'' bobcat wb after I graduated and was able to mow again. Since then I've upgraded to a 61" procat to speed things up a little and still use the 48'' as well. Bigger trailers, trucks, and all the equipment for hardscapes, and helpers have come as well.
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

And by the way, the neighbor who gave me the lawnboy has since moved back into the area, and I'm mowing her lawn again, just a different property and a bigger mower!
  4. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

little red wagon, ya know the ones you pull your kids around in. tied to the back of a off brand 42"mower. echo trimmer and stihl blower. drove it down the road to neighbors houses.
  5. thewall

thewall LawnSite Member

while in fulltime employment i secured a 10 day hedgecutting job at a stately house ihad no truck,trailer,hedgetrimmer,rakes i had nothing,so i hired somebody with all the equipment and with the money i made brought some tools to get me going.
  6. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

That's being creative! With credit not as easily gotten as it was, more people will start out in ways like that. Probably a good thing.
  7. thewall

thewall LawnSite Member

Thanks mate:drinkup:
  8. mowgirl

mowgirl LawnSite Member

I started out by working for another guy...happened to be my boyfriend at the time. I had just been divorced and had been a stay at home job in years. After working w/the dude for a few months how saw how much better a job I could do w/my own biz. He said sure, gave me five accounts, and watched me grow. I bought a 36" Snapper new...then a sulky. Weed eater, blower, and edger were all Echo--new.
  9. Texas Lawn

Texas Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I started out with a mower and a dream
  10. mowgirl

mowgirl LawnSite Member

That's funny. I started my lawn because my original dream (of a perfect marriage) was shattered! So my NEXT dream was lawn care!!