How Did You Start Out?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by MJS, May 4, 2008.

1. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

welcome to lawnsite mowgirl!

i started with a 94 ranger, 5x10 big tex, 36'' ferris wb belt drive, push broom and a cheap trimmer. :laugh:

OUTLANDER LawnSite Senior Member

:confused:i started out with a mower, which is useless here in northern ohio BECAUSE THE GRASS JUST DON'T EXIST HERE ANYMORE LOL! (but i love this summer though, was great here)
  3. mbean408

mbean408 LawnSite Member

started out at 14 with an old push mower, an old trimmer and a broom, neighborhood lawns and a wheelbarrow (to take clippings to the hill to dump). im 18 now and with countless hours and gallons of sweat put into what i do, ive obtained everything in my sig. as well as 25 weekly accounts and 10 other properties that i maintain minus cutting those yards. this business has shown me a new appreciation for life, america, and all of the great people who have hired me as well as teaching me how to be an adult and pay my way through college. :weightlifter:
    lol and being 18 and having a beautiful cummins to wake up to every morning is something to make every day a good day:cool2::dancing::clapping::usflag:
  4. DitchDr

DitchDr LawnSite Senior Member

Looked on Craigslist found a wore out Craftsman 44in tractor, bought a Craftsman power head with a edger and trimmer attachment and a weed eater blower. All of it fit into the back of a short bed Ford Ranger. I put out massive amounts of flyers, every spare penny I had I put into marketing. By Jan of the second year I had enough customers prepay for the first year of service I bought all new commercial equipment and a trailer. With in 2 months of that I put a second truck on the road. With in a month of that i was swamped with commercial work so I put a commercial truck on the road. Inbetween all this I added tree service and fert service. All our contracts are set up on 12 month pay, so when the grass is not growing we still have money coming in. Next will be ramping up the power washing. Have the trailer in the shop lettered up and ready to go. Will be doing a marketing roll out on it next week as well.

Oh and we might get into fire wood if we can get enough trees in the yard
  5. Green Industry Pro

Green Industry Pro LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Tyler Texas

I love this thread. I think it shows that you can always make something from nothing. You don't have to start out with 1,000s of dollars and tons of equipment. Now we have to deal with our government trying to keep us from being entrepreneurs lol .:usflag::usflag::)
  6. Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

#2 for me. I already owned a good F150 free and clear and a John Deere 42" hydrostatic I mowed my own yard with. I took the last 2000 dollars I had in savings and bought a $29.00 Bolens weedeater, $80.00 used Stihl hand held blower, new 22" craftsman walkbehind mower..$250.00 and a new carryon trailer 5x8 for $650. Used the rest of the money for operating capitol...gas,oil, flyers etc. I replaced that $2000.00 in no time (happy wife). The business is doing great, plenty of cash flow and much better equipment. I owe a lot to this site and the professionals who post here. Thank you.
  7. kodak mowing

kodak mowing LawnSite Member

#2 here started with residental grade stuff but working up to commercial grade
  8. mbean408

mbean408 LawnSite Member

just bought this 2 days ago for $150, i was lucky to have a donor engine to suplly the parts to get it running again but it goes to show that you can bring equipment back from the dead and with a little work and some paint, make it a lifetime machine

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  9. Central Island Lawn

Central Island Lawn LawnSite Member

I'm between 1 and 2. I bought small commercial equipment to start, some used and some new, and basic hand tools. Grandma gave me money for a truck in exchange for an irrigation system and cheap labour. Then my Dad gave me a 4x8 utility trailer, a Stihl chainsaw he found used, and a bunch of hand tools from his shed. I'm definitley busier but the equipment I bought I still have and use.
  10. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Mike's LawnCare Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have never started . Still thinking about getting my feet wet !!!!!