How Did You Start Out?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by MJS, May 4, 2008.

1. Johnnyb4894

Johnnyb4894 LawnSite Member

Started with my neighbors push mower,then bought my own Weed-Eater Wal-Mart special (still using it).I then bought an echo line trimmer,then a used MTD lawn tractor which broke down and I had to fix it after a month(spindles,belts,and a pulley).A friend gave me a craftsman chain-saw,bought an echo hand-held blower(got rid of the black and decker corded!!),another friend gave me some commercial hedge trimmers,another friend let me use his 6 ft. utility trailer for a month. I then bought a used Ferris w/b off craig's list along with a 10 ft. trailer,bought an echo stick edger and got rid of the antique briggs,then bought an echo back-pack blower in great shape for $50- whew !!

2. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

oh #1 when I was 14

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I started off the dumb way. But it really helped me get biz and pay that crap off. I bought a brand new trailer- paid cash, a new ztr, trimmer, blower, and truck! All financed. but paid off within 2 years.

4. Not much $ invested. A few hundred dollars. But I offer quality service for the buck. I do complete yards blow, mow, weed, edge, trim, & prune for a set price on contract or a bid price on one time service. Now I contract with car dealerships, real estate companies, property managers, & several churches. I continue to grow my business & accounts. But I have done so as I could afford to grow.

Trey Bernhardt
    BMW Lawn Tree & Yard Care of San Antonio
    12777 Bernhardt Rd * San Antonio, Tx. 78214

210-379-7569

trey_bernhardt@yahoo.com

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

#3 Kind of. I bought a new 48" bobcat walk behind. I bought a used 48" bobcat walk behind about halfway through my first year and an older 48" bunton. New trimmer, new blower, new trailer. I already had a pickup truck, and I bought a lot of stuff as I needed it. Some stuff went on credit cards and I had trouble my first winter. That was 9 years ago and I havent looked back. I am glad I bought new equipment because just starting out and not having backups for everything its good to have new reliable equipment if you can swing it. It was tough but I scraped together the cash and did it. I also started out part time after work so I had another income the whole time.

6. Thomas_e102

Thomas_e102 LawnSite Member

I was up north fishing. I was thinking I have to make some extra money so one day a could build a small cabin up in northern wisconsin. I work with a few guys that mow on the time off from the fire house. I came home called them and the next thing I know I have a 5 year old bobcat 48 that a got for 500.00 . I went to my towns lawn and power shop and picked up a new stihl blower and trimmer. I had a small flip up trailer that worked for a month. them picked up a new carry all trailer 6x12 Because I got so many accounts I hade to by a new great dane super surfer. I had it all paid off by sept.

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

started young with my dads equipment (21'') and worked my way up

8. bighaydenslawn

bighaydenslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Craftsman 38" Manual Trans. Lawn Tractor
    Weedeater Trimmer
    Push Broom
    Hand Tools
    4 Accounts

Man did I get laughed at.

9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I started out young, probably earlier then I should of. When I was in like 5th grade (2001), I was doing 4 or 5 neighbors places with Dad's 311 Dixon and commercial John Deere trimmer. The next year Mom bought me a Toro 21", and I bought a John Deere handheld blower. Year after that I went 50/50 with Dad on a brand new 3303, 30" Dixon. Then in 2006, I bought a brand new 44" Dixon, then the next year traded it for a used 50" Dixon, and also bought a used Walker. This year, I added a new 52" Grasshopper. Over the years I have bought a few edgers, a bunch of trimmers, and a few blowers. I am FINALLY at the point that I have about the best lineup of equipment possible for the lawns I do. Only thing that will make it better is buying my friends Dodge 3/4 ton flatbed dump truck.

I graduate HS in 2 months, and plan to be doing this full time for the foreseeable future.

10. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

Mix of #1 and #2 Started in spring of 2007 with my parents push mower and crappy trimmer. That fall I bought my john deere for $420 bucks and the guy gave me a crappy trimmer with it. Paid it off in a month and plowed snow all winter with it. Bought some more crappy handhelds and a lawn trailer at the begining of this year and through everything in it and pulled it behind my deere around town. mowed 5 lawns all year and was able to buy what is in my sig. Hopefully 2009 treats me well.