1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How Did You Start Out?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by MJS, May 4, 2008.

1. bighaydenslawn

bighaydenslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Born2Farm, nice progress. If I were you I would make my next priority turning that FeatherLite into a Stihl trimmer, like the FS 80R. Also, a few more accounts would be great too lol. Just some advice and good luck.

2. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

That is deffinitly on my list. I will be getting a Km110 with trimmer and edger. Plus sending out around 3000 direct mailers. Time to get serious. Good luck to you. If you ever just wanna chat or talk about business pm me. I like talking to people close to my age about there business.

3. sulcl

sulcl LawnSite Member

#3 Bought 36" Wright Stander, Trimmer, Backpack Blower, Trailer(enclosed & opened) and misc. tools Paid cash for all and have expanded from there.

4. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

i just started out this year. i have a masonry company so i already did alot of hardscape. i wanted to start mowing lawns so i wnet out and bought a mix of new and used equipment. i bought an exmark 48 inch metro echo power broom straight trimmer. an echo blower. i also bought a used 5x10 trailer and a billy goat leaf loader. i have a little over 3 grand in equipment. i only had 3 clients for my first year and thats only by word of mouth. i hope to get my name out there this year and mow 2 days a week. maybe bump up to 10 clients. (i only do this part time for extra income)

5. OUTLANDER

OUTLANDER LawnSite Senior Member

you forgot about #6 deadbeat spoiled kid out of school (no real direction,but mommy and daddy's money)...givin the best the industry has to offer (meaning tools of the trade).to make money to have fun with..LMAO

6. xxl

xxl LawnSite Member
    from MO

A truck a mower a trimmer and a broom thats how my dad started up to 27 customers he kept it part time now i am looking to bullid up more being out of school

7. Triplex

Triplex LawnSite Member

I worked with #6 once - a kid with a rich stepdad who wanted to start his own landscaping business, but the stepdad wanted him to get a job on the golf course and get some experience first before he'd pay for all the equipment. The grounds crew would come in a couple of hours on weekend mornings for a quick course setup, and the kid soon got fired for not showing up on the weekends. His stepdad came in and talked to the superintendent and managed to get the kid re-hired. I don't know what became of him or whether he managed to make it as a landscaper or not.

8. Lucky Star Lawn Care

Lucky Star Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Went big...went to the bank or was on the phone with the bank everyday dealing with tryn to get a business loan after I fially got it I bought out the guy I was workin for and went from there
    :weightlifter:

9. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

thats good! buying an establshed company with a good client base is te way to go. im trying to do all of this from scratch. our family masonry biz has been around for 57 years now and never advertised at all. we do all of our work word of mouth and it has worked great. not working out so well for me for landscaping though. i want to find some more smaller commercial properties that i can mow.

10. Lucky Star Lawn Care

Lucky Star Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it was a lot easier to get started this way. I had thought about doing this when I was younger and got scarred away buy costs and how am I going to get customers. This way I had a foundation to build on