1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Did You Start Out?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by MJS, May 4, 2008.

1. Lucky Star Lawn Care

Lucky Star Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it was a lot easier to get started this way. I had thought about doing this when I was younger and got scarred away buy costs and how am I going to get customers. This way I had a foundation to build on. Good luck to you though with your new venture.
  2. enviouslawns

enviouslawns LawnSite Member

me and my buddy wanted to start a company so we bought a trailer, exmark and a scag, all the hand stuff, he already had an f-150 and ina few months i bought a f-250 and we went from there
  3. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't consider that to be a good choice in the long run - never would have thought of including it. . .:laugh:
  4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I had a 22" Murray PUSH mower and a homelite trimmer. Next came an Echo 210 trimmer, an Echo 413 blower, then a Toro 21 Proline, and then more commercial stuff.

OUTLANDER LawnSite Senior Member

believe me bro there's alot of these types out there:confused:.............i see this too much, kids younger than my child even, with equipment i dream of, but without a clue when it comes to work(not stereo typing all these types, cuz yes i was young too, but the difference there is learn, learn, learn, OHH! and can't forget the most important part EARN, EARN, EARN!!!)....sorry had to say that
  6. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

my cuz gave me his old 48" keez walkbehind that was from the early 90's that he used on the side and i borrowed his 86f350 dump and ramped it in the back...then i bought my 6x10 trailer and hooked up to my explorer...still have the trailer, bought my first new wb in 2005 with my graduation money(gravely 36'' wb, still have the trailer and i just picked up a exmark 60" wb that is a project that i got for free...
  7. paradise32258

paradise32258 LawnSite Member

#3 for me then picked up a few used item along the way also
  8. nnj18

nnj18 LawnSite Silver Member

#2 and three years later I've come a long way
  9. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

#2 for me. Well I used the same equipment I used for my own yard. Some of the old equipment still even works.

OUTLANDER LawnSite Senior Member

#2 and kinda #5 for me, cuz i had to rent alot of equipment when starting to get some jobs, but things went well and coming along good.....good luck to all here, hope things go well for everyone:walking: