How did your business take it to the next level?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FineScapes, Sep 30, 2004.

1. FineScapes

FineScapes LawnSite Member

I've been in the green industry for several years now, but this year i decided to take the risk and start my own lawn business. I'm serious about this business as my career. My question to you senior advisors is how can i take this to the next level? I'm looking for specific answers besides adding accounts(which i know is huge getting name out their etc.). The area I struggled in the most this year would have to be mulching and trimming and people took what i thought to be to long of a time to pay even with a due date . Grass was always first and yard wk got put on hold. How do you guys go big time without going in debt? I see this guys two landscape isuzu's at the gas station and he just gets out swipes his card and his crews i assume go to work. Hard work or a long line of credit? I'm a Cash man. At what income can a start up company justify hiring a worker? Is it the equipment? Their is a company in nashville that is advertised on their 10+ nice landscape trucks that efficiencey is the key therefore they have low prices. I can't compete with the neighborhood kid or now the landscape giant! how can companies make money this way? 300 yards for a owner gross of 40k is not the avenue i wish to take. So all of you after your 1st,2nd,3rd year how did you take it to the next level?

Thank you.

2. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

The "E-Myth Revisited" is a good book to help you with your questions.