How Did Your Year Go?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DSLND, Dec 27, 2006.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Well lets see how everyones 2006 season went.

I originally only wanted 10 weekly lawn customers and had no intention on that i was going to make the money i did. That Changed when i started advertising and started getting calls out the wall and began making money and started upgrading equipment as soon as i could. I then got into landscaping and realized that i wanted to do more because of the profits that came out of it were great. I ended the season with 13 weekly lawn customers with yards ranging from 4k sq ft to 6 acres and made a gross profit of over $7k which i think is great considering i basically had to start over with a new business due to split partnership in 2005.

I started 2006 with this equipment:

-5x10 Trailer w/racks
    -Toro Z150 w/52in deck (Was Rented, now purchased)
    -Craftsman Garden Tractor 50in deck, 48in plow
    -Craftsman 21in
    -Yard Machines 21in
    -STIHL FS 55 Trimmer
    -STIHL FC 44 Edger
    -STIHL BG 55 Hand Blower
    -Rakes, Tarps, Etc.

I ended 2006 season with

5x10 Carry On Trailer w/racks
    2002 Toro Z150 w/20hp Kohler V-Twin and 52in deck
    1993 John Deere 54in WB w/17 Kawisaki and bagger
    Craftsman GT w/22.5 Kohler, Plow,Weights,and Chains
    Toro 20055 Super Recycler 21in
    Craftsman 21in
    STIHL FS 55 Trimmier x2
    STIHL FC 110 Edger
    STIHL BG 85 Blower
    STIHL BR 550 Back Pack Blower
    STIHL HS 45 Hedge Trimmer
    STIHL MS 250 ChainSaw
    Many Landscaping Tools and Misc. Stuff

Im hoping to double lawn accounts next year in the 20-25 range while doing 2-3 landscaping installs per week with a weekly gross of $1200-$1400 and have a full time helper with a truck who can haul me around and work for me. Then when i get my license things are going to sky rocket and be booming in business and hoping by senior year of high school to have 2 crews running. So How'd your year go and what are your 2007 plans? Thanks! -Mitch-

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The weather in PA really cooperated this season. Started early in March doing misc jobs, and worked all thru to the end of November. Couldn't help but have a great year.

3. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Same Here. 2005 was a giant drought with very little rain from June to August and then August came around and we got alot of rain and then finished off the season but 2006 we only had one period where everything got a little dry but overall it was great. -Mitch-

4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

My year went pretty well considering the drought in July, (one week I didn't cut any lawns) Other than that, it went well with all my equipment purchases.

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

We also had one of our best years to date, we lost only 3 clients from the previous year, we added another crew in early spring, doubled our clientele by mid May and was once again in the situation of turning down work by early June. I hate to turn away clients but there are only so many hours in a workweek and I had my hands full with this new crew and adding another crew mid-season would of really overwhelmed me.

6. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

We had a pretty good year all and all. We purchased some good, needed equipment, we were able to get health benefits through the company, and our gross receipts were up by 260%. Although overhead went up, we have already figured out ways of lowering our expenses. Pretty Good Year Overall!

7. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

Year went really good even our new business ( disposal ) is hitting it off

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Sounds like you had a great year, and are building your business nicely. Kudos to you. :)

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I did well for my first year. I don't have my file cabinet in front of me, but I believe I have 21 accounts.

Gross income for the business was around 9K. Not a bad supplement to my full time-job, at which I gross about 45K not including benefits.

The business officially started in mid-June of '06.

Looking forward, my goal for '07 is to triple my number of accounts and quadruple that gross income number. I think I will meet those goals, but we shall see. It is already looking like a new ZTR(possibly 2) will be a necessity rather than an extra convenience.

And looking forward to '08, I'm planning(wishing) to quit my full-time job. It could happen this year, but I will probably stick with both sources of income for '07.

10. LemkeLawns

LemkeLawns LawnSite Member

We brought in about 20k more than expected early this spring. We hope to double next year after a five fold this year.