How do Dixie Choppers rate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mlc4163, Jun 20, 2002.

1. mlc4163

mlc4163 LawnSite Member

Have a new Dixie Chopper dealer in the area and I've been looking at getting a new 60" or maybe a 72" ZT.
    My other options are Scag, Exmark, Toro, and Kubota. Should I even be looking to the D.C. ?
    Not trying to start a pissing match but really looking for good info on D.C.
    It's 6/20/02, and I want current info (all ready ran a couple searches but all seamed dated)
  2. dodgeman

dodgeman LawnSite Member

I am in no means an expert in this but.... I looked at just about everything out there and I just bought my first mower last night. An Exmark Lazer Z. If you have not tried one yu have to they are amazing. I did look into the Dixie Chopper and what I have been told is that they work well but getting parts sometimes can be a problem. That was told to me by a dealer. And if you are down then you aren't making money.

Good luck in your decision

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

I don't own a Dixie, but the dealer will tell you they last longer due to great filters, both on the engine and drive system: also, the drive pumps/motors are totally separate from one side to the other, which means if one gets trashed it won't contaminate the other side. From your previous searches, you probably saw longevity up to 4000 hours, I believe it's all due to the filters and coolers, etc I described. Beyond the longevity, you can see the design is quite unique - probably need to demo several brands if possible to see which one you like - also compare prices and how many hours you will use it. Also, I have seen claims that these ride better due to the "balloon" tires they use - might be a consideration for you.
  4. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

eXmarks and DC's are the best around and the best you can get! Scag an TORO are right after them and nice as well, don't know about Kubotas.....gotta go!

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used just about everything and have used dixie choppers for the last 10 years and they are one of the best on the market!
  6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

You'll have to try 'em out, see how the features operate. Saftey features, deck height adjustment, dealer support ..all important.

I went with the Exmark over DC mainly because of 3 reasons :

Ease of deck height adjustment - I change height alot!

Electric PTO,, I have to jump off and pick up trash occasionally. With electric PTO, you just disengage the blades and set the brake - You can't do that on one with a manual PTO.

Dealer is closer and commercial oriented.

You can add filters to the Exmark, if you really want to - but I don't think getting around 2,000 hours should be a problem.

Some plusses on the DC are great rear tires - good traction, ride, and looks. And smooth hydralics.
  7. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I'm like wrebelmachine, I've been in this business for over 16 years and have tried all the good machines out there. Bobcat, Bunton, Exmark, Grasshopper, and Scag. I've finally settled on Dixie Chopper as my mower of choice(I do own a Hustler Shortcut as well). I've got 3 S'burb'n Turb'ns and a flex-deck equipped flatlander. The DC's give tremendous performance with almost no downtime. My biggest downtime problem is tire related and that's not DC's fault, just the places that we mow. Try a Dixie Chopper, it might not be what you want but then again it just might..............Lynn
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm into my second year on my XW2500 Dixie and I do love this mower. The cut is second to none and it stripes great. In over 300 hours there have been no breakdowns. The factory equiped OCDC is a great feature too. It allows me to get right in next to beds that wouldn't be possible with any other machine.
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have a dixie chopper its on its 3rd year now,and its been a good mower for the last 2 yrs,it had some teething troubles the first year,but they are behind it now.I would recommend you demo one,and the exmark as well.In all honesty i i were to buy tomorrow id walk right past all those mowers to get to a Hustler super Z,it hands down outcuts the others,and blows them away as far as speed,build quality,and features.If you have a Hustler dealer in the area,you owe it to yourself to try one,but try it after everything else,this way you will feel the difference.I thought my dixie was fast,and cut good,until I demo'd the super Z,it is on nice machine.
  10. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Are all Dixies mid mount deck machines? The pic I saw was.
    If so that would be reason enough for me to NOT buy one. I hate mid mount.