1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do Grazer ztr's rate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dave Carney, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Dave Carney

Dave Carney LawnSite Member

Hi, new user here. Hopefully this doesn't get locked, not commercial specific but somebody else suggested I might get more responses here. If any of you guys know about the Grazer ztr's I'd appreciate it if you would comment on my thread. Especially if you know what these things sell for. TIA :)

2. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

I recommend that you work with all the dealers in the metro area until you find one that you are comfortable with. Not only should you be looking for the best price, but a dealer that will take care of you when something breaks.
    On another note,
    Are you spending 60 hrs a week mowing your own place? or do you mow others on the side...

3. Dave Carney

60 hour per year, not per week. Maybe I mis-spoke in the other thread.

I'm not really in the market for a new mower. I was perfectly happy with the Ingersoll until I drove the Grazer. The Grazer is alot more suitable for what I need. I don't need the multi-function capability of the Ingersoll lawn tractor. Since this unit (Grazer) is ever so slightly used and had the discharge chute ripped off at some point, I thought I would discuss a possible trade as it will probably sell in my price range. My Ingersoll is paid for and I'm not interested in coming up with any money for a new mower.

Over 50 looks at this post and one reply....interesting...what's the deal fellas? Nobody uses these or everybody is just interested in how they perform? :)
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I've looked a few times at this one myself, but until now I haven't replied since I have no idea what a Grazer is. I can't even find a website on them.

Why don't you go and look at a more popular brand that we can help you out with. Even if it's a used ZTR, no more hours than your putting on one, a used commercial unit will last you a lifetime. With a little TLC, a commercial ZTR can last several thousand hours, so look for one with only a couple thousand on one. I hope this helps. ;)
  5. Dave Carney

Ingersoll bought Grazer in 1991 so you can see it at their website or at www.hjdistributors.com . The Grazer is sitting in my garage right now so the decision is essentially to keep my Ingersoll or trade for this particular Grazer, I'm not considering anything else. Thanks for the reply though. :)
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

One of the reasons you're not getting many replys is because the Grazer is a homeowner machine. The split warranty, 2 yr. consumer/1 yr. commercial tells me that. Most commercial machines don't bother with a consumer warranty.

It does have a fabricated deck. That is nice because I think they hold up better.

This machine does have a very high center of gravity and an extremely narrow track width. It looks like the track width is somewhere in the 36" range. This is not good if your property has any slopes on it.

If you like the Grazer better and you can get parts for it you should trade the Ingersol for it. The Grazer is far newer, cuts and rides better and will probably hold up for you for a good long time.
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Never heard of them??:confused:
  8. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Actually, Grazer was purchased several years ago by Ingersoll! Not sure of model #s, but you may be looking the same thing with different paint. My understanding from a dealer that once sold them is that they are an absolute nightmare to work on...that is why he dropped them.
  9. Dave Carney

Yeah I already said that :)

It's not even close to the same machine as what I have now, my Ingersoll is an all-hydraulic lawn tractor with a 60" belly deck and it can run a variety of attachments (no benefit to me). The Grazer does everything that I do, better than my Ingersoll, quality cut, speed, fuel economy, ride comfort, etc, and since I've been using it for a while, I already know it will handle my property ok. I was just hoping somebody knew what they cost (for negotiation) and how they hold up long term. At 60 hours per year it would last a lifetime I'm sure but I wanted to know if they have any weak points etc. As far as working on it, it looks a-ok to me, certainly better than my lawn tractor anyways. Having just done a heads/cam/headers install on my 98 Firebird Formula with the engine in the car, nothing in the way of service work scares me any more :D
  10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Either call another dealer and ask or have a friend call your dealer and ask the price on it. It sounds like you want to buy it, so go for it.