How do guys price Lawn Top Dressing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Master of the Lawn, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Master of the Lawn

Master of the Lawn Guest

Got a request for top dressing a yard today. I figured about 2 yards of dressing @ 2" deep. Cost is $ 40 per yard plus del of $ 35.

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

How are you going to apply it?

3. betterlawns

betterlawns LawnSite Member

What kind of top dressing are you putting that is $40 a yard
    Compost runs about $19 a yard. Also cant you haul 2 yards to the site. I would charge about $40 per yard for labor.

4. Master of the Lawn

Master of the Lawn Guest

As for spreading it, good ol wheel barrow and shovel. Where are you getting it for $ 19 yard? Better Lawns have you put out your flyers yet, and have you had any run ins with scrubs? Seems like theres millions of them around here.

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm... How big is this yard? I would figure that one cubic yard of top dressing 2" thick will only cover 200-220 square feet. Two yards at 2" thickness would cover an area not much more than 20' x 20'. Two yards of top dressing spread out 1" thick would cover 648 square feet.

6. betterlawns

I get mine at Garden Ville for $19.00...Thats wholesale price for having a wholesale account with them. Easy just fill out a few forms. Fertile Gardens has the same set up. I have yet to put any flyers. My advertisement consists more of select mailings to homes that I am targeting. I normally get a better response this way plus you are targeting homes you want and price range. Havent had any run ins w/ scrubs. I can tell you though, there is alot of LCO's here in town. They are all coming out of hibernation. Just suprises me how many different LCO's you can see out in one day why traveling your routes.

7. Master of the Lawn

Master of the Lawn Guest

Better Lawns, I also do mailings, but only to gated neighborhoods. I pass out flyers to all of my emb customers they need attention to i have found them to be more loyale than rich customers. What areas do you work? I work between i10 and 281

8. weedwoop

weedwoop LawnSite Member

I have never done topdressing, but thought I read that it should only go on about 1/2" deep, soas not to smother the grass.

9. betterlawns

Master of the Lawn, most of my work is outside 1604 from Bandera Rd to 281. Most of my clients are middle income people.
    They are truly the most loyal of customers. I try hard not to target the truly rich people. The few I have targeted, their bottom line seems to be the price and they then demand the most precision of work. Dont need those headaches. I too have been getting plenty of request for top dressing. Got 2 request today from existing customer and new customer that I got today.
    How much do you spend on flyers, are they worth it. By that I mean how many do you turn down because maybe its not the job you want.

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Are you guys really applying this stuff by hand with shovels? If so, how long does it take, is it as labor intesive as it seems? Just curious.

Thanks

:D