How do I access blades on FasTrak

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by DylanG, May 26, 2004.

1. DylanG

DylanG LawnSite Member

The manual was vague on how I'm supposed to get under the machine. I've never dealt with equipment like this. Could someone give me specific instructions?
  2. markjenna

markjenna LawnSite Member

I just put a floor jack under the front frame in between the front wheels.
  3. wrightg4

wrightg4 LawnSite Member

I, too, have tried jacking up the front of the FasTrak, but I don't believe there is sufficient clearance to use an impact wrench on the blades. Also, I discovered that, at that angle, gas will leak past the caps on the fuel tanks if the tanks are full.

Wasn't there something recently about redesigned gas caps being in development to prevent this leakage?
  4. DylanG

DylanG LawnSite Member

Parden my ignorance but is a floor jack the same type I'd buy for my car? Then do I have to crawl under the lawnmower?

As you can see I have no idea what I'm doing. :)
  5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have used this method in the past, and depending on the mfg of the impact gun you should have enough room.
    I would also consider a Jungle Jack or Super Jack, these are jacks made for lifting the front of ZTR's

The gas caps have been redesigned and will be available to dealers shortly.
    Contact your dealer immediately regarding the fuel caps.

6. trucke

trucke LawnSite Member

I use a 24" floor jack with a 4"x4" block on it. Make sure the machine will not roll by chocking a drive wheel and setting the parking brake (control arms out). I place the jack on the front frame (to the side of center next to the skid plate) and jack it up. Then secure the frame on the other side of the skid plate with a jackstand. Move the jack to the center of the deck (remove the 4"x4" block) and jack up some more. Move the jack stand to the deck. Lower the weight of the machine onto the raised jackstand. Plenty of room to get my impact wrench to the blade bolts. Once the blades are sharpened, I re-attach them with a ratchet. Once you develop your system it doesn't take long. This method really highlights the torsional rigidity of the Hustler frame.
  7. trucke

trucke LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention. While the blades are off and the machine is raised, go ahead and scrape the built up grass from underside of the deck. I use a putty knife. First time I put the blades back on before scraping. Ouch! Those blades are sharp!
  8. Hustlinfireman

Hustlinfireman LawnSite Member

Here is how I change my blades on my fastrak. I start by dropping the back gate on my trailer. I pull the mower up beside the gate paralel to the gate with the mower facing towards the back of the trailer. I then pull the right front yoke up on the gate and get the mower off of the ground a good 12- 16 inches. Then i use a commerically made blade clamp( availiable at home improvement stores). lock it on each blade and use a ratchet and socket and loosen the bolts and stick on the new blades. Impact guns do not do any good for me being the that I change blades on the route often. then I just drive off of the gate and start mowing.
  9. Dagoose

Dagoose LawnSite Member
    from NY

I agree, the manual is vague with regards to how you should "properly" jack your mower. Probably a liability issue. I'm going to be replacing my blades next weekend. I have a truck/suv floor jack which should allow extra clearance. I'll be sure to use jack stands just to be safe.
  10. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

I work at the local dealer and yes there are new gas caps that are available, and as far as the blades are concerned we basically hoist the front end with the same effect as using a floor jack