How do I adjust the brakes on my SUPER Z?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by user5953, May 6, 2008.

1. user5953

user5953 LawnSite Member

When my Super Z sticks are in the park position the lawnmower will move when being hauled on my trailor.

I have another Super Z and it has never moved once the sticks are in the PARK position.

Also I dont have the control I once had on slopes (and this could be dangerous).

The brakes clearly need tightened...I'm sure it's simple, but I just dont know how to do it.

HELP!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

3. user5953

user5953 LawnSite Member

Got it!

Looked at the manual and it doesn't look that hard to Adjust the Brakes.

I'm sure it's one of tose things where the first time someone shows you how to do it, it seems a little confusing, but after you do it a couple of times its EASY AS PIE!

Thanks PJ

4. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't have the control you use to have on slopes, you may want to check your wheel motors or pumps. They may be wearing out and not have as much pressure. Control on the slopes has nothing to do with brakes!!!

5. user5953

user5953 LawnSite Member

My lawnmower only has 160hrs on it.

It do have the 3 bag 12 bushell bagger (and the front weights)
    So with the weight of the bagger itself , the weights and a full load of grass clippings... I wonder if the added weight of the bagger screwed the pumps up?

This lawnmower is still under warranty.

I wonder if I would have any trouble getting the pumps replaced because the weight from the HUSTLER Bagger ruined my pumps?

If the Bagger IS wearing the pumps out... Then I bet everyone who bought a bagger is contacting HUSTLER with the same exact problem.

I wonder if in the paperwork that came with the baggger stated anything saying that if you use a BAGGER you void the warranty on the pumps (because of the added strain, the added WEIGHT puts on the motors)

That would SUCK. I hope not.

Here's a thought??? (instead of the pumps goin out) I wonder if the drive belt is slipping.

6. user5953

user5953 LawnSite Member

Im pretty sure HUSTLERS have a DRIVE belt?? Dont they?

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I don't know why your thinking pumps here... lol...
    Adjust your parking brake or let your dealer do it.
    If you think you have pump or wheel motor issues the dealer can look into this also, but you would know, the unit would not drive right if this was the case.
    You would also know if the drive belt was slipping, there again this is something a dealer can look at.

Pj

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Yes..............

9. user5953

user5953 LawnSite Member

Ok ...well logic tells me that if the Super Z's use a drive belt.... than the drive belt (from the added weight of the Bagger) is slipping and needs to be tightened.

I looked and adjusting the drivebelt is simple. All i need to do is look under the back of the lawnmower (below the engine deck) there is a belt that runs through each pulley that is under each pump motor.

There is a chain is connected to a pulley with a spring arm on it. All I need to do is tighten the chain up a couple of links to add more tension to the spring pulley.

I'm betting this will fix any control problems I'm having. CORRECT!?

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is not a adjustment to the pump drive belt.
    It is under constant tension from a spring attached to a fixed anchor, the other end of the spring attaches directly to the pump idler arm.
    Are you getting slipping when you are driving the mower?
    I thought we were originally talking about your parking brakes needing adjustment?