How do I apply 46%N Urea?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnjet52, Jul 31, 2007.

1. lawnjet52

lawnjet52 LawnSite Member

I have two 50 lb bags of Urea 46%N. I was just wondering when the best time and how to apply this to the lawn.

I've never used it before, but I heard it can really help a lawn come back to life.
  2. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

With a rotary spreader, best time would be fall for cool season turf, and summer for warm season grasses. It will give the lawn a boost of N, If that is the limiting factor in the growth of the lawn than yes it would help. However If your lawn is lacking in other nutrients or is suffering from disease, than it could cause more problems.
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

We use it in the Midwest as a late fall winterizer. Thats a lot of N so you need to be careful not to over apply. each 50lb bag has 23lbs of N so that would cover about 23k sq ft. southern turf is totally different so wait and see what some of the guys from the south have to say!
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I would be very careful when applying straight urea (46-0-0) especially if you dn't apply on a regular basis. There is very little room for error as I don't even apply it anymore.

You can injure a lawn much quicker using a 46% product with no slow release.

If you are going to use it go with the advice above...but make sure you are not applying more then 2lb/1000.
  5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Really depends on what type of turf you have.

Generally anything over 1/2 lb of soluble N per 1,000 sq feet can be too much this time of year. So that means you should apply about 1 lb of your 46-0-0 product per 1,000 square feet.

Apply only to dry turf, then water in as soon as possible to avoid loss due to volatilization.
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Turn Unlimited,

Yes...Thanks for stating that!

I would definitly not use it now...if I were going to use Urea I would ONLY use it in late fall and push the 2# 46-0-0 for 1# of N.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

May I add that it Also depends on what type of soil you have. Inland Red Georgia Clay can't take as much Nitrogen as a Sandy soil of the Coastal Areas.
  8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Turf Unlimited,

Sorry I spelled you name wrong above (just noticed).

I didn't want Ric to think I was trying to be like him and change people's names!
  9. turfnh2oman

turfnh2oman LawnSite Member

46% Urea = 23# N / 50# bag. Most you want to put down is a pound N / M ft.2 I'm assuming. Perule size may not cooperate too well with smaller settings on spreader though. One BIG quick "pop" of green up is what you'll get. Next rain, it'll be gone as Urea doesn't last long. What are you trying to achieve here ? Why not use a slow release with a little Urea in it ? Better and more consistent feeding and safer, especially in summer heat.
  10. lawnjet52

lawnjet52 LawnSite Member

I normally don't mess with the lawn. The Urea was given to me. I have access to about 60 more bags (local golf course closed down). Just wondering if it was worth using or taking the risk.