1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do I bid on trimming shrubs?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by RR's Lawn Service, Feb 27, 2011.

1. RR's Lawn Service

RR's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I am just looking for what it the best way to bid on trimming shrubs. Thanks in advance.
  2. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

go do them a year and tell us ,knowledge is always the best way to know
  3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

we need to see what you are trimming :weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:
  4. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Quote an hourly price & if they want the debris hauled off, charge extra. If you quote a set price instead of an hour rate, you'll screw up eventually on most jobs and lose money because you'll miss calculating how long a job will take you to complete...sooner than later.
  5. BanksPower

BanksPower LawnSite Member

We bid them at a $1 a cu. ft. as long as we do not use a ladder, $3 a cu. ft. if over 5' high. This also depends on how wide they are and if a hedge clipper can cut them. Rule of thumb: $70 an hour. Clean up and disposal.
  6. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Uhhhhhhh. per cubic foot?
  7. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

by myself on average is takes 1 hr for every 10-15 bushes...counting trimming, cleanup, and all....i did a job with 40 bushes and it took 3 1/2 hrs by myself...the bushes were small to medium sized....and they were already shaped well...if you have to reshape them and such it's gonna take longer
  8. BanksPower

BanksPower LawnSite Member

Just caught that... had mulch on the brain last night.
  9. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

It wasn't meant to be a jab. Even after 28 years in business, I learn new things all the time. So I wondered about this measurement for estimating trimming. :laugh::laugh:
  10. landscaper7

landscaper7 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I charge $50 per man hr for plant and tree pruning.