how do i bid this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnrangers, Jun 26, 2002.

1. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

this local wealthy guy called me wanting me to do lawn maint.on his yard.i told him since i was only a 1 man crew i did not do that,but he insisted i give him a bid,said he had seen some of my yards that i mow and how good they looked.. he has about 2 acres of yard,10 islands of mulch beds(which need weeding) all kinds of trimming,also tree trimming(the wife said i needed to spray for weeds every week). they said they wanted me there every week. i just dont know how to bid this... please some ideas...

2. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

are you licensed to spray in TN. If not you can be fined in the thousands and spend time in jail. on the bid, look at the beds and just estimate how long it will take you to clean them out by hand. Tree trimming to me would be done on an hourly basis prob twice a year. Plan on mulching the yard once a year and maybe a second time in the fall if the mulch gets washed out of the bed bad.

More info is needed on the size of the beds for accurate price but for me to cut two acres weekly I would charge from 80-120 depending on the ammount of weedeating and edging that was needed. On the bed cleanup I usually est the hours and times by $45-65 if i was doing all the work or 30-45 per hour for hired help if they do the cleanup while i cut.

I hope this is a start but like i said, if you aren't licensed to spray in TN, DON'T promise that you can do it. It's not worth the chance of jail and hefty fines. If you have to sub out the spray work.

Scot

3. Lawn Wizard

Lawn Wizard LawnSite Member

For jobs like these where they want a personal gardener/groundskeeper I charge them by the hour ($35/mhr in my market). If I need to buy materials I mark them up and add it too the bill. these are the best accounts in my experience, and well worth it.

try and talk him into as many hours a week as you can! good luck.

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Try using 10 or 20% vinegar to spray the weeds. A license to spray in Tennessee is difficult unless you meet the requirements. The Tennessee Dept. of Agriculture has the requirements on their web page @ ww.state.tn.us/agriculture/regulate/aip/certlic.html, but if the product does not have an EPA Registration Number you can apply without the certification.

5. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

thanks, i just needed a little info on where to get started. yes i will sub out the spraying.ans yes this guy wants a groundskeeper that can do everything,but most of all he wants STRIPES!!!! go figure...

6. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Stripes in TN can be hard unless you cut the berm early when it's still damp to hold the stripe effect. zoyzia or fescue will be no problem. Bermuda just will not hold the stripe for long like fescue.

If he wants a grounds keeper, charge him groundskeeper rates by the hour. to me it sounds like a job that will keep you busy but make sure they know what you charge by the hour up front. Rake in the cash man.

Scot