How do i build a wall around/up to this tree and make it look good?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by alldayrj, May 9, 2013.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

It's all good. We know we're all power hungry ADD ego maniacs.

Now to knock a price together and present it. 75 linear feet, 3 rows of 6" high block and a cap. All day.

I would like to put together a planting package too if anyone has suggestions.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Nah, just cocky :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Boulders all the way, no way would a retaining wall ever work with that majestic tree. Work with it, not against it.

4. alldayrj

Hmm boulder the whole thing? That's an idea. Definitely cheaper. Would "rock the block" too. Get it? It's new and it's big rocks

5. DVS Hardscaper

Boulders prolly won't be "cheaper". No two boulders the same. Takes alotta time setting each individual boulder in place. And making sure it don't Rock back and forth.

Would definitly look nicer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I mentioned boulders when really what I meant to say was "armourstone" So I agree that there is more work involved with boulders but the final look CAN be spectacular.

7. alldayrj

Boulders are cheap here, pool guys give them away and lots of guys dig them up mining out the long island sand.
    Whats armourstone?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DVS Hardscaper

correctamundo!

In most cases the boulders are free. Usually native to the site. Hauling not free (usually).

We built a 10' high boulder wall (using extremely large boulders) using boulders that were piled on site. Smaller boulders will go faster as they're lighter. But it's still good old fashioned manual labor working with a product of nature. One boulder at a time. The cost came from the labor. Very little material expense. A block wall with grid and engineering would have cost less than the boulder wall.

I'm a firm believe in charging strictly time and material for boulders (small or huge). Extremely time consuming. (in comparison to block)

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  9. alldayrj

Yea but the way i see it this wall is low enough (18") that all the work is base prep. By the time you set the first course of block the wall is done. Base doesnt need to be as exact with boulders and if i get some nice ~2' boulders it should just drop in next to each other. . But what do i know? Havent done a boulder wall YET.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never liked the look of a "wall" that's just boulders set next to one another. It has this misshapen pearl necklace look that's not awesome, you know? If there's not stacking or some sort of interaction between the stones it just looks a little meh.