How do I cancel a PITA?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bntt68, Apr 12, 2005.

1. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

I serviced there lawn last year and ran into a few problems. I bid them at 95.00 to cut entire property. 65.00 for just the areas around the house. The whole thing takes me about 2.25 hrs. Just around the house took 1.5 hrs. They did not want me to cut before 11:00 a.m. They continually complained I was cutting too short.(I do not cut below 3" and cut theirs at 4-4.5").Wanted me not to come this week. Then call 2 days later and say they need it cut.Well that is just a few of the problems. I decide after discussing it with mmy wife that I was canceling themand did by mail in Feb. They immediately called and my wife told them no and they begged. well I told them I would do it for 150.00 and 105.00 and they said sure!! They siad they would call one week before they thought it needed cut. Cutting was set up for Mon. afternoon weekly unless they called 1 day before.My wife called them monday because I have started all of my weekly accounts and they had not called. They said sure could you do it Thurs. or Fri. it dont need it now but it cant wait a week. I call them and tell them I will be there mon. like we agreed. She said that would be great!! Be sure to knock befor you mow so we can make sure you are cutting the right level. HOW WOULD YOU CANCEL?

2. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Sorry your a PITA i dont need it have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile and walk away

3. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Miss Manners says that if you say "I'm so sorry, I just can't" enough times (no other explanation, just "I'm so sorry....") eventually even the THICKEST person will get the idea. It's worked well for me and the bonus of not having to manufacture a reason is GREAT!!

4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have not already, this is a good candidate for a contract. This way you can handle things in accordance to how they are stated in the contract. This way, they will have to follow the rules of the contract, and not thier own. You can specify cutting days and times, as well as cut height. Also, put in there a cancellation fee.

If you really want to cancel them, then be honest. Tell them why you no longer care to put up with them. Just be careful not to burn any bridges.

5. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Dont show up until they call and say you will be there and dont show when they call you to see what happened tell her its to hard to schedule her not knowing what she will do.

6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Not a bad account at $66/hr. I would see if you can talk to her and let her know that you have a set schedual and can not permit last minute changes. I would not be too nasty because you dont want to burn any bridges.

7. Todd's lawncare

from P.A

And get a bad name . that's the worst way to handle it

8. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

Personally I dont like anyone who tells me to let them know before I cut. Listen I come weekly then in the off season biweekly. Too difficult to understand, Goodbye :waving:

True story: I have this one lady who was not a PITA, but she told me to knock every time at the front door before I cut the lawn. She fired her last guy for not doing this. It turns out this really good looking lady from Venizuala ( looks like a super model ) tans nude in her back yard and the ohter LCO walked in on her.
    I used to knock but now I just make sure I cut the fromt first so she hears my mower and runs inside.

No problems with her so far, but if I ever want to get rid of her I know how to do it! :D

9. Todd's lawncare

from P.A

LOL Thats funny

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

just stop showing up.