How Do I Change My Blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy858, Jul 15, 2007.

1. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a toro zmaster with a 52" deck. First off my blades are getting dull so i will either take my mower into the dealer and have them change the blades (at 80$ an hour), or i need to figure out a way to change them myself. Say i bought 3 new blades for my mower, how would i take the old ones off and put the new ones on? What equipment would i need and how much would it cost?

Thanks in advance

2. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

If your Z-Master has the turbo force deck each of the three blades will be positioned in a cradle , just jack the deck up and loosen the bolt on each of the three blades. You can use a impact wrench, or do like I do, use a 15/16th old fashioned wrench.

3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Takes me about 2 minutes/blade to change blades on most mowers. Takes about the same to sharpen them with a professional grinder, as long as they ain't dull as your finger!

4. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

drive one side of your mower up your trailer ramp, set park brake and put wheel chocks behind the back wheels just to be safe and crawl under your mower. use a vise grip to stop the blade from turning if you are using a wrench or ratchet to unscrew the bolts.

5. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I use a block of wood wedged in to stop the blade from turning. You need to have someone show you how to do these things, such as oil and filter change. Read the manual and ask the mechanics to explain it. If they wont explain for free, then you bought at the wrong dealer.

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Honestly the best investment you can make is an impact wrench and a grinder, either angle or bench will do fine for one machine. If you have a compressor then go with a pneumatic impact if not then you can buy an electric or battery powered impact. Will make changing blades a snap and the grinder will let you sharpen your own blades eliminating not only the dealers fee per blade but also the time wasted driving to and from the dealer, gas as well.

7. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Look on mowpart.com and get an oregon rotary blade grinder. Save time and money. Dont take it to the dealer sharpen them your self . :weightlifter:

8. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

i do infact have the turboforce deck, thanks for the feedback. i think i am deffintely going to pursue maintaing the blades myself. I already have ramps so i can get under my deck, so where should i buy an impact wrench and which model should i buy? It needs to be electric and less than 100 preferably. Lastly for a blade grinder what recommendations do you guys have? Tom c. i checked out the one on mow part and there wasnt much info listed on it. So basically it comes down to a good impact wrench and good blade grinder, give me some recommendations. Thanks.

9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

man just wait till the old timers get ahold of this post they are going to let you have it.did you even look at it and try to figure it out i mean its a bolt da loosen the nut. i hope they spit on it first

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

You can get an electric corded 1/2" impact gun(DeWalt) on Ebay brand new for 125 bucks. Stick with a name brand.

I have the Oregon blade grinder, and I like it. It works well, but it's going to cost you. What's your budget for a blade grinder?

Also out of curiosity, how many hours are on your mower? Are you still using the original set of blades?