how do i come up with the money?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Brighton_blades, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Brighton_blades

Brighton_blades LawnSite Member

*trucewhiteflag*how do you come up with the money that u need to get all the equiptment needed i have the lawns but not the right size equiptment for the job

2. Brighton_blades

Brighton_blades LawnSite Member

I needit for a larger mower and other equiptment

3. thesodfather

thesodfather LawnSite Member

i would say maybe take out a business loan if you do this ull have to come up with a plan and present it to the bank and they will have to approve that your business will be able to make money but if you want to work for it get a wheelbarrow and a pitch fork and you can make a lot of money fast by doing mulch jobs

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Well lets see you save up your money or take out a loan. ???!?

5. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

i started out with home cheapo stuff until i could afford to get good stuff. not worth going into debt for a start up..

6. TCEminowicz

TCEminowicz LawnSite Member

Go to your local mower dealer. They have all kinds of programs designed just for situations like this. There is a finance company called Sheffield. They have different options for financing equipment. One of their best plans is NO INTEREST for 6 months and NO PAYMENTS for 7 months. Obviously you have to have decent credit to get this type of loan, but it is a great way to have some equipment and give yourself a chance to earn some money BEFORE you have to make any payments. I am a dealer in NC and we sell probably 25-30 start up packages a year like this. Almost all of the guys who buy this way are still in business. You can go to www.sheffieldfinancial.com to find out more.

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Hike your skirt up a little...or just tough it out like everyone else did.

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Back when I started in 89 I borrowed money for a string trimmer from family and threw my push mower in the trunk of my car along with broom and started mowing yards. That was a long time ago but it take hard work, good work, and time to build a business up. You can start as small or big as you want, just because you have the best equipment around doesn't mean anything. Sure with all the equipment you can save time and mow larger places but starting small and working your way up takes lots of ambition and drive but you will get to where you want to be. If you go out and buy all the new fancy mowers with a loan and we have a drought again next year how are you going to pay your bills? I have seen more dry summers in the last few years than I have seen since I have been in business.

9. cmcintosh

cmcintosh LawnSite Member

Don't know what's available in your state for business development from the government but have a look. For the bank you'll probably need a history of accounting (two years?) for the bank to get a good interest rate so you'll need doc's from an accountant. And if you have no money now, they will not give you more unless you can put up a security like a house. But keeping good credit and fighting for money when you DON'T need it keeps you growing. Best is to work like a bugger all year and ask for money close to your end of season when your account is best. Don't worry though, landscapers are held in the highest of regard at the bank... just above convicts and the homeless.

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

you continue to do the lawns with what you have, saving every dam penny without exception, reduce your cost in every aspect in your life CHARGE THE COMPETITIVE RATE for what you do in everything you do. in other words you pay your business more than you pay yourself without exception......and avoid loans, it takes a huge amount of discipline to be self-employed not everyone is able to do it. the truth is more fail than succeed