How do I construct a Paver walk/Patio

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grassman50, Sep 24, 2001.

1. grassman50

grassman50 Banned

hi, i am new into landscaping. I was wondering how i would go about construction a walk or patio with pavers? I do know that you need to level everything and compact it and use sand as a base with slag too. Does the slag keep the pavers in place or to you need to use adhesive? How do i get the slag level so the walk in level? Please help me out guys. Thanks alot!!!:)

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Hello Grassman - welcome to Lawnsite. There are all kinds of really bright people with vasts amount of knowledge on this subject. The nice part is, a lot of it is already here, in old threads. Run a search in this forum on 'pavers' and you'll get enough info to last you a week!

Once you've digested all that, post a new thread with any questions that may not have been covered thus far.

Have fun!

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I believe it is......... We covered a ton of info in that thread also. It went way off topic at times, but it was always packed with great info.

Heck, bring it back up to the top by replying to it if you have any questions.

4. landscapeman

landscapeman Banned

you don't need to use adhesive on the installation process unless your laying the pavers over a concrecte apron and the apoxy usually runs $70 per tube so its not cheap as far as the installation process the best thing to do would be to go to your local dealer that sells pavers and they would be more then happy to answere you questions on paver installation

5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually the paver bond adhesive is less expensive than epoxy. Unless you are dealing with a really wet application, the paver bond should work with a concrete base.

6. Stonehenge

from Midwest

Am I missing something? I don't see anywhere in the original post where grassman is putting pavers on top of anything needing adhesive. I think edge restraint is the answer he's looking for.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

:p
    Maybe this will help refresh your memory Stone, LOL couldnt resist.
    :eek:
    Ahem, Im gonna go back to pushing mowers for a while now -LOL!!!

Kris

8. Stonehenge

from Midwest

Exactly. Slag is foundry sand. Trying to use adhesive to attach anything to that would be fruitless.

I get this question from my customers as well. They want to know if the sand between the pavers is what keeps the pavers from migrating outward from the patio. :alien: That's when I show them a spec sheet on the paver restraint I use.