How do I control crabgrass

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ziggyor, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ziggyor

ziggyor LawnSite Member

One of my customers wants me to use organic stuff on the lawn. I now see 3 inch tall crabgrass. How do I control crabgrass organically?

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

your hands, or a tool from HD called the weed hound(?), you can get the majority of that and then hand pull the leftovers afterwards.

There are basically only organic non-selecive herbs, they kill everything.

3. DeepGreenLawn

here you go, this is what I have and it does pretty good, well built

Attached Files:

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

Made from cinnamon bark, Agralawn Crabgrass Killer is an all-natural weed control used as a spot-treatment to kill crabgrass, basket grass, chickweed, clover, and other similar weeds. Safe for use around people, pets and the environment. 2 lb. container covers 100-200 sq. ft., most of the time it will get choked out with the lawn growing well. and some CMG

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Does cinnamin bark kill good grasses too? It does work on Crab real good but I never noticed the surrounding grasses, being affected.

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

baking soda is the active in the agralawn product, the cinnimon supposedly acts as a pre emergent.

7. treegal1

have you used it before??? thats a real interesting, if it works, wow that would be great

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Cinnamin makes no claim as preM. It is dusted on wet leaves and does work quite well in that fashion.

9. DeepGreenLawn

I heard that baking soda was a good fungicide too, any thoughts on this one?

10. treegal1

yes I think I need to get some soda.........the bag cinnamon is real high$$$