1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do I deal with fall leaves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowisme, May 15, 2007.

1. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

hi all- Last year I had only 5 accounts and hand racked onto tarp and bagged alot. A real pain for this old guy. I have more accounts this year..I also have a parker lawn vac. What is a better way to deal with fall leaves? I have a 60"hydro wb with sulky..and a couple 36" belt walk behinds, and a SR-18 3-wheel scag, but no ztr rider. any ideas? can I adapt some kind of vac to hydro wb? my metal cage does so-so on scag, but fills fast! thanks Gene
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have a a good backpack or a wb blower???? that will help speed things up. I would also look into getting a Accelerator Catcher for your hydro.Good luck!!!
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I forget what company it is but someone makes a vac collection system for walk behinds. I'm sure someone will chime in with this company.
    Kind of early to be worrying about Fall.......last Fall must have really sucked for you!
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

What's the problem with your Parker? Fill up to fast?
  5. mmonte31

mmonte31 LawnSite Member

Just curious why you have 4 mowers for 5 accounts?
  6. Runzwiscizzers

Runzwiscizzers LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I am not in the business (homeowner). My yard is 1.5 acres, all grass, with probably 15 large Oak, Walnut, Maple trees. Last year I invested in Gator blades and a chute cover. When the leaves fell last year, I was diligent about cutting every 6 days. The first two times I had to run over a couple of areas 2-3 times, but never did pick up a rake.

My Scag Tiger Cub did an excellent job of pulverizing the leaves into dust. By the third or fourth (final) cut of the season, there was nothing but grass.

This was my experience last fall, I hate to rake leaves.
  7. Chuck Campbell

Chuck Campbell LawnSite Member

It's Protero. For info, just do a search for it on this site.
  8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't raked a lawn in years. Mulch the leaves. It's very beneficial for the grass. An MSU study showed 24" of leaves mulched into the turf had no adverse effect on turf quality. Even oak leaves.
  9. PSO058

PSO058 LawnSite Member

Trac Vac makes a model that mounts on top of the wb deck
  10. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

Track van makes a vac system for both walk behinds, and Stand on mowers. The draw back with this system is it uses a 44 gallon barrel mounted to the deck, not good around low hanging limbs and the barrel blocks your field of vision some what. In your situation mulching and collecting any excessive leaves left on the lawn should work well. And you'll want a good backpack blower for cleaning out bushes, landscaped areas.