how do I deal with soil salinity due to high groundwater

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by swabby, Apr 23, 2008.

1. swabby

swabby LawnSite Member

First time poster here...great resource! Our home was built on land that used to be swampy/marshy until a few years ago. This spring I've noticed an abundance of salt accumulating on the surface, from what I am guessing is due to the high groundwater levels around here. If I was preparing to plant turfgrass, how would I deal with this problem? Replacing the soil with good topsoil/sand wouldn't permanently solve the problem, would it? Wouldn't the salt in the groundwater eventually work it's way through the new layer of soil? Or do I have it wrong and the source could be from somewhere else? Thanks for the help.

2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

You have alkali soils. Trying to grow turfgrass can be a nightmare. Even if you replace the soil the salts will come back when the water table rises. There's ways to make it work but it's not to cost affective. Unless you can keep constant salt free moisture going down through the soil the salts will always work there way back up. Can you post some pictures? Does it look like someone dumped bags of flour all over the place?

3. swabby

swabby LawnSite Member

That's exactly what it looks like...bags of flour dumped all over the dirt yard. Even the rock that was laid around the driveway is covered in it, I assume because of the water evaporating underneath the rocks and leaving the salt deposits on the rock. Anyway, I'd take some pictures today but we're getting snowed on again. As soon as it melts off and dries up I'll post some photos.

Are there alkali tolerant grasses that can be used?

4. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

5. swabby

swabby LawnSite Member

Thanks Mark, I've never heard of Alkaligrass before. This may be the answer I'm looking for. I'll look more into it.