1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How do I deal with wet yards?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by green-pa, May 9, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

How can u cut wet grass? Does having sharp blades help a lot to reduce clumping? Also, does non-stick cooking spray, when applied to bottom of deck, help prevent clumps?
  2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

That's the worse!!! It keep jamming the blades, all clog up, have to keep flipping the mower over to clear it. What a mess!!! I would like to know too. I am not so sure a sharper blade will do, I just change a new blade but have not have a chance to try on a wet lawn, whether is getting dry.
  3. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

Some mowers handle wet better than others, that's really what it boils down to. When I worked on a Steiner at a golf course, I could run that thing in heavy rain and it just blew the grass out and cut even as can be. My Ferris IS1500? Better be dry or it's going to clog after two passes if it's wet. The Deere WB I use is better, but it still doesn't fly in the wet stuff.
  4. The only thing I've found that helps much is using double blades. High lifts on the bottom and Gators on the top.
    But then you'll have problems with the discharge hitting stuff.
    My walk behind is the only mower that I can use double blades on. The other mowers have those blade saddles and I can't mount the blades in the "X" pattern.
  5. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

How good are the Honda HRC 21" mower. I am not going to buy any biggers ones.........Nobody buy bigger ones here unless you do playground and fields.

Any good 21" mower that is good at wet lawns, I am so sick and tire of the jamming.
  6. NJT

NJT LawnSite Member

If I have to cut in the rain, I raise the deck and barely cut the lawn. Keep it pretty til next week. Then give it a good cut.
  7. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

Get a walker they do the best
  8. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

If I get to a customers yard and it's wet from watering, I won't mow it. They now when I'm coming and what day I come. It says on the contract about this.
  9. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

how often does it rain in New Mexico? Nobody waters their lawns around here because God does a really good job of it. He watered our lawns about 10 times in the last two weeks!
  10. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

This seems the best for us. In about a month though watch out for fungus. This seems to be one of our biggest obstacles every year