How do I determine the value of my lawncare business?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ajreeves, Aug 18, 2014.

1. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

That and adding his business to yours is not going to add money to your pocket.

Now if you were to increase your volume through adding new customers then you can hire a manager to free you up. Promoting from within is how you retain good employees.

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

OP you never answered my question How many employees you have now or you just solo

3. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Does he really have $100k cash to give you? I would be shocked if he did.

I tried the partner thing many years ago. Forget about making decision on your own anymore.

Heres an example of decisions you will not be able to make on your own anymore-

Hey "Bob", what do you think about buying a new zero turn to replace this old one? Bob Says- Why not run the old one until it dies?

What do you do then? Compromising SUCKS!

4. ajreeves

ajreeves LawnSite Member

I won't make 187k, I'm still in a growing phase which requires me to buy a couple new trucks, plows, sanders, mowers and trailers. Last winter I bought two trucks two plow two sanders- 60k roughly. This spring I bought 2 trailers 2 mowers and a mini excavator. Roughly 81k. About 55k of that is in loans. So at this point I am not focused on paying myself- I'm trying to reinvest for the future.

As far as why I am considering it, basically I want to be able to step away more often and have someone with a vested interest watching over my company. This summer I went away for a week and was thinking about work 100% of the time. Makes life tough for my young family.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ajreeves

ajreeves LawnSite Member

Three employees and myself.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Hire a foreman.

A partner is not the answer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ajreeves

ajreeves LawnSite Member

3 in the summer- 7 in the winter
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Profit sharing for foreman
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't do profit sharing
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. LawnsharkMB

LawnsharkMB LawnSite Senior Member

I don't understand what he would be paying you for?

If you are looking to expand and make more money by taking on this guy's accounts under your business name, shouldn't you be buying out his equipment and basically hiring him to work for you?