1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how do i do a spring start up??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by P.Services, May 10, 2008.

1. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i dont do very much irrigation work at all, i dont like it and i dont know how so i keep my hands off the stuff. i have a guy im going to do a mulch job in the morning and he insists that i turn on the system. what are the basics?
  2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Stick to mulch, hire a pro for the irrigation.
  4. P.Services

i have told him about 10 times i dont want to do it so i will find out if i can get away without it. he just keeps saying all i have to do is turn it on and you can ajust the heads. i belive their is a lot more to it then that. i did do a huge repair job last year i will get a picture of one of the lines for you guys to see soon.
  5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

"You touch it, you assume responsibility." :nono:
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Ask him why he doesn't deal with an irrigation company. If it's about money, do you really want this job?
  7. nylan8888

nylan8888 LawnSite Member

That says it all.
  8. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure what the problem is. Tell the customer that you are a landscaper and don't work in irrigation. that should be it. I don't get customers refusing to allow me to turn the spinklers on because i won't mow the lawn. It's 2 different things.

that said, i have the feeling this guy is a cheepskate and doesn't want to pay for an additional service for the irrigation. In that case, I would pass on the job.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Or learn the trade. the guy that bought my business was a lawn jockey &
    he is well on his way to being full service.
  10. P.Services

its not about money at all, he said "i dont care what it cost's me just get it done". in the past three years i just call my irrigation guy and he does it but this year he must be real busy because i havent heard a word back. i have three big jobs for him to go with it also.