How do I drop this customer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I have stored my lawn equipment and 2 trucks at an old farm for the last 3-1/2 years. 1-1/2 years ago he sold off another part of his property for development. He hired me to mow tall 3-4 foot tall weeds and grass in un-developed lots. Dusty with some rocks the size of a muskmellon. Doing this with my Toro 117 and a beat up 52" deck. I had 2-3 flat tires and broke 2 $40 deck belts within 24 hours. I normally get along with the owner very well. But when a project is going on like this one he gets on me like a 5 ton Gorilla, even after I have some serious health problems. Well the Toro breaking down and snow ended the lawn mowing job from H***. His son who I have met once is now in charge of the developments projects. Yet the conditions are too hard for my Toro. Any ideas or suggestions as to how to get out of this one?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

just tell him the truth

ask whether there is a way to smooth out the area and make it better.
  3. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

is this where you store your equipment at?
  4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

You are attempting to do a job designed for a tractor with a brush hog attachment with a FINISH CUT LAWN MOWER and are ruining your equipment.

5. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Yes this work is for the guy I rent out storage space from. I've told him my machine isn't really suited for this work. I told him about the flat tires, rocks and $80.00 worth of belts ruined in 24 hours and that didn't mean anything to him at all. His thinking was "just get the job done". Pretty much H*** bent no matter what else is going on, come break down, health problems, earthquake, tornado, you name it.
  6. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

just tell him if he wants you to do it he has to give you some money to rent a mechian then get a bulldozer and plow the whole thing lol no just get a bobcat with a brush hog attachment and if he doesnt like that idea then tell him that your mower cant do it unless he will buy you a new one.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Find another place to store your equipment 1st.
  8. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

i'm not sure of your location, most of us either have a garage we keep all our equipment in or a big storage unit we pay for monthly. I'd tell your customer the truth and explain that his property is too hard on your equipment. if he has a hard time excepting your alternative solutions, move on.

richard coffman
  9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Dang!!! Is this a no brainer or what? Tell the guy to take a flying leap of a short peer. Find somewhere else to store your equipment and be done with the entire situation. Done deal! Now you can move on to profitable jobs.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, that is the number one priority before anything else