How do I edge beds with 3/4" rock mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by tonym10, Jun 24, 2004.

1. tonym10

tonym10 LawnSite Member
    from pa

Can anyone here help me with how I should edge my landscape beds? I am a homeowner and all the mulch in my landscape has been replaced with 3/4" red stone. I used to edge it , before the stone , with a stick edger, now the edger just constantly hits the stones. What do I do? Thank you
  2. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I would just use a shovle as its your just doing it on your lawn. It will take longer but it will get the job done with no broken windows/ eyes put out.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

rake all the stone away from the edge, edge it, and then rake the stone back.
  4. tonym10

tonym10 LawnSite Member
    from pa

Both of those answers is what I was afriad of.
  5. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe trench out a deeper edge, keeping the stone further away from your edger? Just a thought.
  6. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Sacrifice a little more turf by creating a new bed edge with the back of a shovel or a tool called an Action Hoe. Remove this dirt/thin grass/rock mixture to a different location-

Topdress some rock over the entire area, and work a few stone into the face fo the bed edge (wet).

Oops re-read your post.

Ensure you have adequate eye protection, and learn how to run your line trimmer perpindicular to the ground. Half speed or less, is all the throtttle you'll need if you are traveling in the right direction and are just spinning the tips of the line along what needs to be cut, considering you are vigiliant and are timely with your efforts. Every week or so.

Creating this new edge requires that you can maintain it. Endevour to use the edger to keep a four inch gap. Once you have all of your bed edges appearing the same way, it looks more natural.

Another tip would be to use a pitchfork dragging backwards to turn each rock over, to freshen the color.

Here's a tip, relax and pay attention to what you are trying to get the machine to do. If you have to see the chiropractor or the ENT, yer holdin on to it too hard.

I tell any person that asks me for advice on what to get for their own consumer use: Buy commercial equipment. All handheld GP stuff should be bought new. No split booms , no motor with fifty attachements. If you have four K worth of turf or more and a suitable garage, go buy a used 36" commercial Belt Driven W/B.
  7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I tell my customers who use rock to install the black plastic edging then all you need to do is string trim it.
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

The last thing you want is a rock to get out onto the lawn and become a projectile when you mow. If you're using rock, do whatever it takes to contain it.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Hire someone to spray a PGR and you will notice dramatic results. The areas will have less growth and it will be very easy to cautiously trim there when needed.

The edge along that fence used to be trimmed twice a week. This picture was aprox week 5 after Embark. I know its not a rock bed but the results will be the same. Good Luck

misc 060.jpg
  10. tonym10

tonym10 LawnSite Member
    from pa

Can you tell me what a PGR is?