How do I empty the hopper in my Lesco HPS?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by hackitdown, May 28, 2014.

1. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Rookie question. I know it sounds like a simple problem, bit I can't figure out an easy way to get out the unused granular fert left over in the machine. I have been using a push spreader for a couple of years, I would just spin it upside down and pour the leftover back in the bag. But obviously that won't work with a riding spreader.

So what do I do if I need to switch product between customers, or at the end of the day when I want to clean up?

2. cotyledon

cotyledon LawnSite Senior Member

I use my kids sand shovel
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. pomticks

pomticks LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I tried to judge my properties with how much I needed so I didn't run into an issue with a full hopper to the end of a day or when a product switch was needed. When I did need to bail it out I used a small sand bucket.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

It's always best to empty the hopper at the end of each day. Here's what we do:

Scoop out as much as granular fertilizer as possible & put it in an open bag.

Then use a shop vac to get the rest out. Then empty the contents of the shop vac into an open bag.

It's a pain, but I don't know of any other method. Leaving fert in any hopper can accumulate moisture overnight.

I posed this question to TURFCO back in 2008. I wanted some kind of opening near the bottom of the hopper where I could open or close it. Problem is -- it's up to Spyker to design this option.

5. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get one of the little 5 gallon bucket vacs at Home Depot
    It goes on a 5 gallon bucket. Vacuum the hopper snap a lid on the bucket and your done.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A little shovel from a plastic dust pan and brush works fairly well. But its difficult--slow--I seldom emptied mine. I had a small spreader or hand held spreader for separate products. Shop vac or dust buster works OK.

7. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

I like the vaccum idea. I keep a a couple empty buckets in the truck but usually only need one, cut the bottom off a gallon milk jug to use as a scoop, then use a small plastic cup when the hopper is almost empty; cheap and easy.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

If you want to really do it right. After using the shop vac, pressure wash it. Then in the morning, toss in a little bit of oil dry/floor dry. Keep the spreader cover off until you get to your 1st stop. :waving:

9. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Small shop Vac works great.

10. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Shop Vac and a small sand shovel works fine.