How do i find a buried sprinkler head?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JDiepstra, Sep 16, 2011.

1. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi guys. Is there an easy way to find a head thats not popping up? My parents have a place with irrigation and my dad said he recalls there being a head in a general area but cant remember where. It does make sense that there would be one there. Do i just get a shovel and start digging or are there any trick or tips you can offer? Thank you.

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

turn it on and search for a flood.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

.... and if that fails, use a soil moisture probe (like the Lincoln) to find the wettest area.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Waterboard the other sprinklers until they give up their co-conspirator. :mad:

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Shovel. Lots of spare time.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

If you can cap the other heds in the zone it should show itself.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Not if someone has capped it off at some point in time.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the responses. Ive been running the sprinklers for at least 30 minutes and there is no flood. This is a system with one zone for the entire lawn. It has 8 heads that all spray pretty far. Its pump fed from a lake. System was like this when they bought the place. I think im going to go with the shovel rather than having to get parts to cap off the other 7 heads. Thanks again guys.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Or just add another head. Chances are , when you do , you will find the old one.

10. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

I had one repair the other day where the impact "maxi" style rotor was full of mud all the way into the pipe several inches. It was so plugged up I couldn't even tell if the rotor was abandoned or if it was a piping problem until I dug it up.
    In your case, if the sprinklers were spaced in any symmetrical fashion, you should be able to measure out the probable location of the sprinkler head and then try to locate it.
    The suggestion of capping the other heads is the usual way of finding missing heads.
    In addition, if that doesn't work, I would then try to "witch" the piping to find where it tees off to the missing head and "pothole" the pipe until I found the head.